ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-12-2023   #1
ddiblasio

Default A/C stopped working

I live in Powhattan County VA., SW of Richmond about 40 minutes.
Since I had to remove the plenum, I wanted to take care of as much as possible. I replaced my coil paks with new ones as No 8 wasn't getting any spark. While at it I fixed or resealed any place where a vacuum leak might be or occur. Tightened bolts etc. new serpentine belt, plugs all new gaskets and O rings on injectors etc.

Replaced my dual fuel pump system to a single pump system as per Mark H.
Runs great.

Now AC has stopped working. It was always a bit weak, but AC compressor clutch does not engage. Took it to a local shop had it vacuumed new
regrigerant.
No luck.
I was told low side port is very high on pressure. I have tried several so-called Car A/C experts, and none seem to exist in my area. Called Evolution Auto sports in Fredricks burg VA. They said they don't work on A/C systems. ???? any thoughts??
Thank you all and thanks to Marc Heibeck for all his help on the phone.
ddiblasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023   #2
WARP TEN

Default Re: A/C stopped working

You are about 3.5 hours from the heart of the WAZOO group, Jim Voter's house in Westminster MD. Maybe some of the WAZOO (Washington Area Z Owners Organization) group could help out on one of their repair weekends. I am sure one of them will chime in here shortly. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023   #3
ddiblasio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
You are about 3.5 hours from the heart of the WAZOO group, Jim Voter's house in Westminster MD. Maybe some of the WAZOO (Washington Area Z Owners Organization) group could help out on one of their repair weekends. I am sure one of them will chime in here shortly. --Bob
Thank you
ddiblasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023   #4
dredgeguy

I have had same type issues for several years and have checked all the possible issues like the high pressure switch. It appears that the problem with mine is the AC controller under the dash just above the gas pedal. If you look at the website of Batee, they have some great videos and they do the repair. Come to one of our Wazoo maintenance days at Jim's place in Westminster or come to Carlisle, several will have their Tech 1A's which is helpful in narrowing down the issue.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023   #5
mlipmd

The AC controller under the driver side dash has nothing to do with the compressor, it only controls the vacuum lines to the various doors in the duct system to direct the airflow.
Do you have any codes on the display when you turn the AC on, is it blinking?
The codes must be cleared before the compressor will turn on. Try and disconnect the battery for 30 sec. then try it again.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023   #6
mlipmd

Any resolution or followup to this?
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023   #7
tstrohl12560

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiblasio View Post
I live in Powhattan County VA., SW of Richmond about 40 minutes.

Since I had to remove the plenum, I wanted to take care of as much as possible. I replaced my coil paks with new ones as No 8 wasn't getting any spark. While at it I fixed or resealed any place where a vacuum leak might be or occur. Tightened bolts etc. new serpentine belt, plugs all new gaskets and O rings on injectors etc.

Replaced my dual fuel pump system to a single pump system as per Mark H.

Runs great.

Now AC has stopped working. It was always a bit weak, but AC compressor clutch does not engage. Took it to a local shop had it vacuumed new

regrigerant.

No luck.

I was told low side port is very high on pressure. I have tried several so-called Car A/C experts, and none seem to exist in my area. Called Evolution Auto sports in Fredricks burg VA. They said they don't work on A/C systems. ???? any thoughts??

Thank you all and thanks to Marc Heibeck for all his help on the phone.

I have been having a very similar problem with my AC in my 1990 ZR-1. I had done everything one could do to fix it, except replace the in-dash control. Well, I replaced it this past week with a NOS unit I got on eBay. The AC now works perfectly! FYI - the NOS OEM units on eBay are for the 1990 are for the convertible C4. The only difference is the upper right button switch on the face panel. In the convertible it operates the heated rear view mirrors. Of course in ours, that same switch operates the rear window defogger. I simply swapped out the button from my old unit depicting the rear window defogger and it all works perfectly and looks perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
tstrohl12560 is offline   Reply With Quote