ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-23-2022   #1
Figure8it

Default Painting Fenders

When I purchased my car last year, the original fenders had some small cracks in need of repair. I always preferred the late C4 fenders (my first Corvette was a 95? coupe) so rather than repairing the original fenders now, I purchased new 95? fenders.

I have a friend that owns a collision repair shop was willing to teach me and my goal was to do as much of the work as I could to paint them. I started with the fitment and put them on the car. He made the adjustments to make the lines of the car perfect which required some shaving of the molds.

Once fitted, we needed to sand the gloss coat from the molds for primer to stick well. It took from 6pm-12:30am to finish these two steps. In the morning, his staff primed them for me. I arrived back at the shop again at 6pm and worked on sanding the primer smooth. I worked both fenders about 90 minutes each to get them ready for the base coat.

It was about 11:30pm when I started to mix up everything. Base coat was first, then color and after they were sprayed, I mixed the clear.

He did the base coats and the first coat of paint. It was then my turn to learn. I tried to pay attention to how he did things and I was able to practice on a paper setup for me. The goal was to not paint it too wet and for it to look dry after it was painted. I painted the second and third coats. He applied the last coat of paint and then did the clear.

It was about 2:30am after I finished up some touch ups and went home. The next afternoon we installed them on the car. I?m very happy with how they turned out and that I was able to put much of the work into it.

Here are a few pictures of the project.Image1666542818.353004.jpgImage1666542849.490794.jpgImage1666542855.404814.jpgImage1666542937.418881.jpgImage1666542943.973036.jpg

1992 Polo Green ZR-1, DRM500
Figure8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022   #2
JT ZR-Won

Default Re: Painting Fenders

Wow, great job! That would be something I wish I knew how to do... or even had access to the proper shop/tools.

Turned out great!

Jay
JT ZR-Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022   #3
Mystic ZR-1

What do you mean by "shaving molds"?
They turned out great!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022   #4
Figure8it

Thanks Jay! My project over the winter will be to repair the old fenders and get them ready for paint. Another learning experience that I'm looking forward to.

Right now, I consider the paint on the rest of the car in good condition (in the ballpark of a 7) so maybe someday I can paint the entire car. I plan to drive it and enjoy it so now that everything is sorted, and I mean totally sorted, it's almost time to get things put away for winter.... I'll likely work on the reviving the rest of paint while I have it stored. Should be very clean by spring.

PS. I see you are in Bradenton, FL. I was recently there at a friend's place before the storm. I hope you didn't have too much damage.
Old 10-24-2022   #5
Figure8it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
What do you mean by "shaving molds"?

They turned out great!

TY!! The fender edge on the inside door jams had a rough edge that wasn?t very uniform. It didn?t interfere with clearance for the doors but it made it much closer. He was able to sand it down to match on both sides.

Image1666624562.543825.jpg

1992 Polo Green ZR-1, DRM500

Last edited by Figure8it; 10-24-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2022   #6
Mystic ZR-1

OK, thanks, now it makes sense.
Nice job!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022   #7
Z51JEFF

I too like the the 95 fender panels much more than the 91 panels I had on my car. When it comes to metallics a beginner is best to leave it to the pros. I've been painting small jobs for years and I wouldn't even attempt a metallic job,clears no problem. Are those fender panels aftermarket? When you say base do you mean primer,the base is color. 2 stage is base and then clear.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022   #8
Figure8it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
I too like the the 95 fender panels much more than the 91 panels I had on my car. When it comes to metallics a beginner is best to leave it to the pros. I've been painting small jobs for years and I wouldn't even attempt a metallic job,clears no problem. Are those fender panels aftermarket? When you say base do you mean primer,the base is color. 2 stage is base and then clear.

I bought the fenders from corvetteparts.com (links below). They were newly created molds and look to be made specifically when I ordered them based on the dates.

This is not a job I would have ever attempted without someone teaching me or on anyone else's car but my own. The day for paint was a nervous excitement for me all day since we worked on things starting in the evening. It was great to soak in all the things that were being taught to me. His point was "we can fix whatever I may do wrong".

I'll ask him about the mixtures, but I needed to mix 3 separate things to be applied and the first thing mixed he called the base coat, which looked similar to the primer color that was sanded off earlier that night. After two coats of base were applied, the color was then sprayed. He applied the first coat of color with the focus for the panels not to look "wet". I applied the next two coats of color with the same intent after practicing then gaining his approval. It?s not easy at all and it?s an art to master for sure. He finished up the last coat then did all the clear coat.

Image1666715624.011916.jpg

https://corvetteparts.com/item/fende...anel-1995-1996
https://corvetteparts.com/item/fende...anel-1995-1996
Old 10-26-2022   #9
JT ZR-Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figure8it View Post
PS. I see you are in Bradenton, FL. I was recently there at a friend's place before the storm. I hope you didn't have too much damage.
Thank you. We got very lucky. It was a lot worse south of us
JT ZR-Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022   #10
GOLDCYLON

Nice looking polo. I have a pair of 96 CE fenders waiting to do this treatment too. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote