ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-27-2011   #11
mike100

Default Re: Best Gasoline for your Z

The only bad side effect from running 100LL was toasted cats- but a little bit mixed in my old cars so I could run N2o always worked fine.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011   #12
Bill

It's not the octane that hurts the cats, it's the lead, AV gas is LowLead not un leaded!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011   #13
robrtr

Question Re: Best Gasoline for your Z

Does anyone have any experience with ethanol-free gas? I've heard that ethanol is an injector killer. A little googling found a couple of sites that purport to locate suppliers of ethanol-free gas. Is it worth the extra miles to find such a supplier?

pure-gas.org
www.buyrealgas.com
'92 #225
Black/Gray
WAZOO Member
robrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011   #14
bldavis11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrtr View Post
Does anyone have any experience with ethanol-free gas? I've heard that ethanol is an injector killer. A little googling found a couple of sites that purport to locate suppliers of ethanol-free gas. Is it worth the extra miles to find such a supplier?

pure-gas.org
www.buyrealgas.com
Yes and no. Eventually Uncle Sam is going to force this crap down our throats, so you might as well get used to it. If your Z has original injectors, they are not going to last terribly long with the ethanol-blended fuels. However, once you replace all 16 injectors with new or rebuild ones (SS guts), then you should never have a problem again (except for the degraded gas mileage).

Hope this helps.
bldavis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011   #15
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldavis11 View Post
Yes and no. Eventually Uncle Sam is going to force this crap down our throats, so you might as well get used to it. If your Z has original injectors, they are not going to last terribly long with the ethanol-blended fuels. However, once you replace all 16 injectors with new or rebuild ones (SS guts), then you should never have a problem again (except for the degraded gas mileage).

Hope this helps.
As I understand it, it's not a corrosion issue requiring the use of stainless steel, but rather a difference in the materials used to protect the coil windings in the injector. Ethanol eats away at the material formerly used to protect said windings.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #16
sammy

please beware of using av gas in your car it has additives that keep the gas from freezing @20,000 feet which really change the burn rate of the fuel and can burn up pistons . i would go get some unleaded 100 oct there are places in most towns that carry it .and unless you have a 12 to 1 motor you wont see any benefit from octane higher than 95 in our stk zr1s .
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote