ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2021   #1
onethumb

Default '91 cosmetic refresh/restore

I thought I'd share my journey here with my '91.

I bought it 4 years ago from a forum member. It already had numerous upgrades (Haibeck 500, blueprinted trans from Bill Boudreau, harness bar, etc), and had been *very* well cared for by it's previous owner.

So I did what any rational person would do---I drove it

My intent was never to make it a project, as it was a very good car as-is. But I can't leave well enough alone....

The paint, although cared for well, had been polished down to the very bottom of the clear coat, and the car had a number of rock chips and such from being driven on the AZ highways.

So I tried one last polish, but I was pulling color off with it, so I knew it either had to be left alone or I'd have to paint it.

And over the last 4 years, I've totally become attached to the car. I can't imagine ever selling it now.

So I painted it. And if you're going to paint, you might as well really go at it. No half-assed jobs. Be bold. Have fun.

So here we are: my ZR-1 with it's new color: Tangelo Tri-Coat Pearl by House of Kolor. Base color is white, with 9 layers of color applied on top. Hard paint to work with, as it goes on thin, but the effect is outstanding. Lots of flop in the sunlight--it really brings out the awesome lines of the car, particularly the rear.

More to come--I have wheels on order and the interior will be it's own project too. That gap between the dash and the passenger side fairing just bugs the hell out of me, and some of the materials could use an update too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210921_093946.jpg (139.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 20210921_094009.jpg (126.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20210921_094034.jpg (129.1 KB, 110 views)