ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2019   #10
QB93Z

Default Re: Jim and Lyndi ZR-1 Road Trip 2019 - Back to Alaska

Day 17 Ferry to Valdez continued

We left Whittier at 1:30 and sailed across Prince William Sound to Valdez. The ferry, MV Aurora, smaller than the MV Columbia that we rode thru the Inside Passage. There is only 1 car deck and no passenger cabins.

Along the way we spotted some wild life near the ship, dolphins and and Harbor Seals:

As we approached the port of Valdez, we passed the Valdez Oil Terminal, the end of the Alaska Pipeline, on the south bank of the Sound:

There was a medium size cruise ship in port waiting loading for an evening departure. The Alaska Ferry terminal was just ahead of the cruise ship, so I got to evaluate the ship handling skills of the Captain and the line handlers:

The approach to the berth was satisfactory. The Captain used his bow thrusters to get parallel to the berth:

Once we were close to our position the Bow Line Handlers sent the mooring lines over. First to be sent over was a messenger line with a monkey fist to make the throw easier. Lyndi got a picture of the throw for line 2:

The Line Handler on the pier pulled the mooring line to a cleat a strain was taken to position the ship:

Based on my experience mooring submarines, I would rate the landing as Very Good.

We made a short drive to our hotel and Lyndi really liked the desk clerk's sweater. Lyndi likes Bats:

Jim

Last edited by QB93Z; 06-25-2019 at 09:08 PM.
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote