ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2014   #1
c4koh

Default Switched to RAM dual-disc clutch, some questions

All,

I just switched to a RAM dual-disc clutch with a hydraulic bearing. I made various measurements and will write these up shortly. Old fork and old slave (clean fluid coming out) both seemed OK.

Anyway - filled up the transmission with the Castrol M-Series BMW oil per latest advice on same, and put everything back together. All good.

Clutch engagement is as expected - quite high - but not a problem. Pedal effort is about the same, and feels "certain", meaning I feel that there is a clean engagement and disengagement.

Rounding it off, hat tip to Jerry at Jerry's Gaskets for all of his help. Supplied kit included the flywheel from Jerry also. So, new flywheel, new dual disc clutch setup, new hydraulic slave bearing throwout (push spring in). This coming from OE dual mass flywheel for info.

Questions if anyone can help.

1. I've driven reasonably sedately to break in clutch to new flywheel.
Smell of burning clutch, not severe, but certainly there.
I cannot find if this is expected on a new flywheel mating surface, and I think it is (so far only 120 miles), but if not would be good to know.

2. When I put everything back together, started up, very little noise. Slight chatter, which was expected, and good.
Funnily enough, this week (it is colder), started the car up and a real metallic tick-tick-tick with clutch engaged. Push my foot on clutch pedal, disengage, ticking goes away. Foot off, clutch re-engages, ticking again... and rises with revs. This at idle or in gear.
Drive for less than 1 mile / 2-3 minutes, sound goes away completely - back to slight chatter (chatter / slight "scrape" noise).
Clutch disengages (no problem shifting) and feels very engaged.
It seems like after it "warms up" the ticking sound disappears. Ticking does not appear whatsoever until everything back cold again...

3. I believe this is symptom of no-longer having the DM, but I do get more noise through the transmission on any throttle. Does not sound bad, no bad vibration, just more noise.
I have read that this may be normal, but again just double-checking.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

Steve
c4koh is offline   Reply With Quote