ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2006   #1
Hammer

Thumbs up #8 Plug change

I just got done changing plugs and the #8 posed a real problem at first. I made short work of it with the following special tools.
Pencil type extendable magnet (most any magnet of this type would do)
Lithium Grease
Spark plug Socket (make sure it has the rubber to hold the plug)

Removing is easy, drop you plug socket down the hole and then a short extension after that. Push it all the way in so the socket and extension are mated and are on the plug. the extension will protrude out the hole a little bit. Then connect a universal joint to the extension and a longer extension to the universal. You can screw out the plug now. Once the plug is free hold the short universal and remove the longer extension. This leaves the plug, plug socket and short extension in the hole. Pull the contraption out until you can remove the short extension. I then used the magnet to fish the socket with the plug in it out of the hole.

Installing is a little harder but it wasn't that bad either. I prepped the plug socket with lithium grease and then ran the plug in a few times to spread it over the rubber. You will see that the plug now pulls out of the socket pretty easy.

OK here goes. I used anti-seize on the plug threads by the way.
Insert the plug into the socket and lower it into the hole with the magnet, then insert the short extension into the plug socket. At this point you can just kinda twist the extension into the plug socket and tighten it by hand a little. then the universal on a long extension is inserted into the short extension and the plug tightened. Once tight you should be able to remove the plug socket from the plug. This is where the lithium grease comes in handy. Then it's just a matter of disassembling everything to the point where just the plug socket is left in the hole. retrieve it with the magnet and your done.

I hope this is clear enough that you all get the idea anyway. It worked for me and made an ugly job much easier.

John Boyd
Newbie Member #760
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote