ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-05-2019   #1
VetteFantasy

Default Paint correcting Polo Green '94 #444 + new beauty shots!

Sometimes life and other project cars get in the way of paint correction plans, but after nearly two years of ownership I'm finally satisfied with the state of my '94's paint. I ended up doing this project in steps every few months, between track events. Since I couldn't dedicate a full, uninterrupted week to this process, I decided to spread it out so I wouldn't have to rush through steps.

Backing up a bit, I bought the car knowing the paint needed some (a lot) of love, but what mattered more to me was that the previous owner spared no expense on the mechanicals. Plus, it was already perfectly set up for the track, so it was exactly what I wanted. I've been lucky enough to stumble upon (and buy) two incredibly well-built and sorted out Corvettes in the last few years, and instead of doing engine builds I'm perfectly happy doing some cosmetic work and other mods to dial them in and make them my own.

Soon after I bought the car, I asked my husband to tackle the hood, where the paint was in the poorest condition by far. I'm always nervous to take on heavily scratched/damaged areas where I have less confidence in the amount of clear coat left, and I was thrilled with the massive difference he made. I ended up using the same compound and pad combo on the rest of the car, but for the most part I didn't have to do multiple passes or use as much pressure as he did on the hood.

I posted more technique + product details in the Cleaning and Waxing subforum, but the products I used for paint protection included Jescar Power Lock Plus sealant, Collinite 845 wax, and P&S Bead Maker Paint Protectant.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the results and would choose the same products again tomorrow if I started over. The most consistently surprising product, to me, is Bead Maker. It seems to change the slickness and glossiness of coated or non-coated paint so dramatically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.JPG (420.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg hood.jpg (313.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg process.jpg (290.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (1).jpg (200.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (2).jpg (164.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by VetteFantasy; 02-06-2019 at 12:33 PM.
VetteFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019   #2
TX '90 ZR1

Default Re: Paint correcting Polo Green '94 #444 + new beauty shots!

Looks REALLY good!!
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019   #3
Ccmano

Beautiful! Color correction is on my list. In my case it might require some color sanding. I might just leave that to a professional.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019   #4
WARP TEN

I did the same thing on my Polo '95 and was delighted with the results. Got rid of 20 years of swirls and dullness. However being an old guy, I hired an experienced detailer to do the work. Two guys spent about 6 hours in my garage doing mine and they did a fantastic job. Cost $450, which for me was a good deal. Here are a couple of pics. The detailer said the original Corvette paint from our era was quite hard but polishes up well with some elbow grease. Also, before they did the work, they suggested that I touch up any stone chips, etc. since their work does nothing to deal with those. I used Dr. Color Chip and it worked great. Doesn't actually fill the chips but colors them so they are hard to see. ---Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaintCorrection (1).jpg (112.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg PaintCorrection (3).jpg (74.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg PaintCorrection (8).jpg (95.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg PaintCorrection (9).jpg (108.0 KB, 38 views)
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 02-06-2019 at 10:20 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019   #5
VetteFantasy

Sanding is the most aggressive method to get defects out, so trying a compound on a polisher would be my first suggestion. It's not too tricky if you have a lot of patience Check out Obsessed Garage and Ammo NYC on YouTube for lots of great polishing tutorials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Beautiful! Color correction is on my list. In my case it might require some color sanding. I might just leave that to a professional.
H
Old 02-06-2019   #6
VetteFantasy

Beautiful results, Bob! It really does make an incredible difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I did the same thing on my Polo '95 and was delighted with the results. Got rid of 20 years of swirls and dullness. However being an old guy, I hired an experienced detailer to do the work. Two guys spent about 6 hours in my garage doing mine and they did a fantastic job. Cost $450, which for me was a good deal. Here are a couple of pics. The detailer said the original Corvette paint from our era was quite hard but polishes up well with some elbow grease. Also, before they did the work, they suggested that I touch up any stone chips, etc. since their work does nothing to deal with those. I used Dr. Color Chip and it worked great. Doesn't actually fill the chips but colors them so they are hard to see. ---Bob
Old 02-06-2019   #7
rush91

Looking good!! The hood on my Polo green Z is a mess....looks like someone washed it with a brillo pad. At this point it's either buy a use hood or get the hood repainted. I haven't received a quote under $2500.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019   #8
VetteFantasy

Oh, mine was absolutely the same way. Definitely try compounding with a polisher first (or find a qualified detailer to do it) - it can't hurt, right? I'm happy to help any way I can. Detailing is a passion of mine, especially if I get to make a Vette shine

Check out the before/after...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
Looking good!! The hood on my Polo green Z is a mess....looks like someone washed it with a brillo pad. At this point it's either buy a use hood or get the hood repainted. I haven't received a quote under $2500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (131.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (92.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-06-2019   #9
BigJohn

Looks great 👍🏿
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019   #10
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteFantasy View Post
Beautiful results, Bob! It really does make an incredible difference.
Thanks--I agree it really looked good when done. Wish I still had the darn thing. But I would argue that the paint correction helped enhance its overall good condition, and therefore helped me get a very good price for it a few years ago. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote