ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-10-2015   #1
perrymitchell

Default Help with my LT5 Camaro conversion

I have a '67 Camaro with a '91 LT5 motor with a 700R4 transmission that I installed. I need your advice regarding the pressure that is required to operate the throttle. It has a Lokar throttle pedal and cable assembly. It takes a lot of pressure to rev the motor to the point that I'm afraid the cable ends might fail. There is no binding and the transmission TV cable is not the issue. It seems that the throttle return spring is too stiff even though it is the stock spring in the stock throttle body. I was even thinking about converting to a drive by wire system if that is even possible. Any suggestions? Here is a link to the car: www.lateral-g.net/members/mitchell
perrymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #2
tccrab

Default Re: Help with my LT5 Camaro conversion

Casual driving in my '90 ZR1 I pretty much use just my big toe for throttle pressure.
Spirited driving I use the upper half of the foot to hold the pedal to the floorboards (where it will stay plenty long enough to scare the living bejeazus out of me).
I'm going to have to check the schematics to see if there's any force multiplying device on the pedal assembly. I do know that it's very hard to open the throttle blades by hand at the throttle body. I'll bet that the pedal has a fulcrum built in.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #3
WVZR-1

Not knowing how you've configured the pedal in the car and assuming there's no issues at the TB here's how the pedal/cable is configured in the car.

You changed nothing at the throttle body lever and are using the intended retention style?

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...riveLine=11463

In this image pay attention to only VIEW B and maybe the pedal above. The image is for an ASR/ABS '92+ so the rest is irrelevant. How is your cable connected there? How is the throttle valve cable done?

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...category=19400

Snapshots of yours at the pedal and throttle body?

I thought the links more appropriate than 2 full blown images. You can ZOOM to full page display.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #4
perrymitchell

Thank you for your responses. My throttle assembly is just as the drawings show except that the cable may have more of an ''S'' bend in it. The Lokar pedal may have a longer arm where the cable attaches but that is what is needed to get WOT. I will try to post some pictures soon.
On a second note, as I was looking through the archives, I saw some billet throttle cable clips that Pete has produced. Can someone put me in touch with him as I would like to purchase a set of the two hole clips if he is still making them?
Old 08-11-2015   #5
efnfast

I believe the throttle clips you are looking for come from Carter. aka Carter200
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015   #6
Z51JEFF

Nice build,so nice to see somebody build a car NOT in the current build trend which is total $hit. I like the wheels,look like Budniks,came very close to putting a set of these on my car. The cable problem your having isn't related to the motor in the car. It takes no more effort to push the pedal in my Z than it does in an old Nova I have. I still get a kick in the a$$ knowing people are still putting these motors in projects. You might need to reroute your cables. As noted Carter makes a few items for the LT5 as well as some custom one off items per your request.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015   #7
perrymitchell

Thank you Jeff. You are correct, they are Budnick Gasser wheels that they modified for me by adding the perimeter bolts making them look like a 3 piece wheel. I know it's not the motor in the car that is giving me a stiff throttle, It's probably the pedal assembly. I may have to go with some kind of bell crank system. Thanks for your responses.