ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-10-2015   #1
Bob Eyres

Default Mickey Thompson- Street Comp Tires

Does anyone have any direct experience with the new Mickey Thompson- Street Comp tires?
They are available in ZR-1 sizes, and are designed for wet and dry use. Priced at under $150.00, (by some retailers).

Also, does anybody know of any mgfr. offering 335 X 35 X 17"s at a reasonable price?

TIA

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #2
FU

Default Re: Mickey Thompson- Street Comp Tires

Had these in R2 compound on another car. Dry they are excellent. They will take a lot of power thrown at them. Wet they are dangerous as all hell. Spindels won't like them. Car I had the MT's on hydroplaned and never came back no matter what was done to try and correct it.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #3
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
Does anyone have any direct experience with the new Mickey Thompson- Street Comp tires?
They are available in ZR-1 sizes, and are designed for wet and dry use. Priced at under $150.00, (by some retailers).

Also, does anybody know of any mgfr. offering 335 X 35 X 17"s at a reasonable price?

TIA
Hi Bob--
By "reasonable price" I presume you mean not Michelins? Nevertheless, I put Michelin Pilot Sports on WARP TEN and really like them. Extremely high quality tires, feel great, and also highly rated by Consumer Reports and others. As to reasonable price, I got them at Costco mounted balanced and warranted including 7% sales tax for $1,712 for a set of four including stock 275 size for the fronts. I thought that was a reasonable price for great tires.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #4
KILLSHOTS

The Mickey Thompson Street Comp is a rebranded Cooper Zeon RS3-S. If I remember correctly from my previous research, they only offer the 315. My understanding is that it's no wider than a Sumitomo.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #5
Bob Eyres

Frank, I think we're talking about a different tire. Here's the MT's:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/i...treet_comp.jpg

Killshots, it sure looks like the same tread pattern as the Cooper. But I made a couple of calls and it doesn't seem like Cooper makes a 315, or a 335.

Warp Ten, Michelin is a great tire, I have them on one of my other cars. But you're paying the big bucks for a long wearing tire. I only use the car 4 or 5K miles a year, and I'd have to toss them long before I wore them out. Can't run it up to speed if it's 5+ years old.

I'd love to find some soft, sticky, Goobers for around $150, preferably in 335 size.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #6
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
Frank, I think we're talking about a different tire. Here's the MT's:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/i...treet_comp.jpg

Killshots, it sure looks like the same tread pattern as the Cooper. But I made a couple of calls and it doesn't seem like Cooper makes a 315, or a 335.

Warp Ten, Michelin is a great tire, I have them on one of my other cars. But you're paying the big bucks for a long wearing tire. I only use the car 4 or 5K miles a year, and I'd have to toss them long before I wore them out. Can't run it up to speed if it's 5+ years old.

I'd love to find some soft, sticky, Goobers for around $150, preferably in 335 size.
That's what I had found in my research, as well...it's the same tire as the Cooper but available in some different sizes.

From what most seem to say, the best "budget" tire for a Z is a Nitto. My advice is to buy a set of Goodyears while they're in production; that window will undoubtedly close again very soon. If you want something a little less expensive, but still wide and VERY sticky, go with the R888. My car had a very hard time breaking them loose. Good luck.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015   #7
RICHARD TILL

I wouldn`t recommend the Nitto 555`s. Bought a cheap set for the rear and thats exactly what i got. The sidewalls must be made of sponge. The sooner they wear out, the happier i`ll be.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote