ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-28-2016   #1
Dds1990

Default First time jacking up #0106

I have to replace the slave and a little apprehensive about jacking it up. Im going to pick up a 2x12 and put together the drive ons to get the floor jack under it. The hood is going to be up but my questions are, doors open or closed, windows up or down, hatch open or closed, does it matter which top and on or off, I have both. Im clear the body "Flexes" and don't mind wrenching on it, just don't want to tear anything up if it can avoided. Also Im going to place the front tires on some ramps instead of jack stands, and would like to leave it on them til I get the rebuilt master and slave back if that would not be a problem. Any other advice/ suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Dds1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: First time jacking up #0106

Lifting and Towing the ZR-1

Just jack it up......I have not seen any issues with doors, windows, hatch, tops or leaving the tires on ramps......just do it

When jacking the front center I use a 2x4x6 pad placed under the cross member so it is beneath the front part with the vertical stiffener. If you jack in the center of that cross member it will bend up a tad which you do not want to do.

Now it you jack up one side very high that does twist the body so I tend to limit the height I jack one side.
I just jack high enough at the side (just behind the front wheel) jacking points (not on the plastic but on the steel rim where it curves) to just get the tire free of the ground for removal.

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-29-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #3
Dds1990

Thanks Dynomite.
Old 11-28-2016   #4
Racinfan83

I'm not near the expert Dyno is - but I have had mine up several times to the limit of my jack. (about 18 inches) I just position the jack under the body rail about under the side mirror which allows the car to go up evenly. I have an old ice hockey puck on the pad. Careful not to get jack pad in too far so as to scar up the underbelly pan. If I put it up on stands I just jack it as high as I want on one side and place my stands under the body seam rail front and rear. My stands have slots in them that fit right in the seams. Then I go jack the other side level and place stands under it. I leave doors and windows shut and hood shut until I get the car on stands, then open the hood. I have R&R'ed the trans/clutch/pilot bearing with it 18" up on stands in my garage. Just be careful to use a full size floor jack and watch it carefully to make sure when you go up on the second side the first two stands don't tip or slip. Just my experience and opinion...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016   #5
32valvesftw

All good advise, just to add I had a Jeep slip off the jack on me this weekend, my bad, I left the rubber puck in place and it covered the notch in the jack that the frame should have connected to before sliding. I was at the end of the jack handle so pretty much out off harms way, and another big metal part, the leaf spring, caught the jack on the way down. I'm just saying be careful guys when working under jack stands and a jack.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016   #6
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
All good advise, just to add I had a Jeep slip off the jack on me this weekend, my bad, I left the rubber puck in place and it covered the notch in the jack that the frame should have connected to before sliding. I was at the end of the jack handle so pretty much out off harms way, and another big metal part, the leaf spring, caught the jack on the way down. I'm just saying be careful guys when working under jack stands and a jack.
Excellent Advice

To add to that.......I often reach/crawl under the ZR-1 resting on hydraulics to place Jack Stands......That will catch me statistics says if I keep doing that.....
It is OK to reach if and when the car falls your body is not where it is NOT SUPPOSE TO BE

And I always have the Parking Break ON but if you lift the rear off the ground that is of little help.....in that case just make sure you are on a level, solid surface

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-29-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #7
Z51JEFF

As stated just jack it up. I won't raise the car with the glass top on the car but that's the only precaution I take,just make sure you get the correct jacking points,I always use a low profile jack with an aluminum pad and place it under the pinch weld in the front and pinch welds at the rear. Over the years I've heard just about all the jacking dos and donts.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #8
Dds1990

Thanks for all the advice. I jacked up one side at a time using my small hydraulic jack and slid the wooden drive ons on the first step under the front tires. That got the front high enough to get the big hydraulic jack and a piece of 2x10 to the front part of the cross member. I then jacked it up high enough the place my old style drive on ramps under each tire. It was high enough, barely, to get under and fight with the slave cylinder....Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2016   #9
BigJohn

Why don't you just use the Jack points that are shown in your owners manual?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #10
Dds1990

That's what I used raising each side. I had to get it high enough to have access to the slave cylinder. I didn't want to put any stress on it by just jacking up the driver's side high enough to get to the slave.