ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-18-2008   #1
32valvZ

Default Exhaust Removal

Ok, I have the whole exhaust down and all the old air pump hoses & related parts out of the way.

Questions:

1.Now that the vacume/air pump is gone, do I need to jump any pins in the connector to avoid throwing a code?

2.Should I expect any codes at all for that matter or noid lights?

3.There were 7 bolts on each manifold. Is that the same amount that will be used to get the headers fastened? more or less??

4.Will the oil dipstic go back in place, or do I need to relocate the bracket?

5.Is it a good idea to fabricate a shroud for absorbtion of sound around the knock sensor?.....say a piece of heater hose held in place with a hose clamp?

6.Any other hints for installation will be appreciated

TIA John
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #2
Ccmano

Default Re: Exhaust Removal

Interested to hear the answers to your questions, I have headers sitting here waitig for the install.

Hans
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #3
Zr1 Destroyer

Talking Re: Exhaust Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvZ
Ok, I have the whole exhaust down and all the old air pump hoses & related parts out of the way.

Questions:

1.Now that the vacume/air pump is gone, do I need to jump any pins in the connector to avoid throwing a code?

3.There were 7 bolts on each manifold. Is that the same amount that will be used to get the headers fastened? more or less??

5.Is it a good idea to fabricate a shroud for absorbtion of sound around the knock sensor?.....say a piece of heater hose held in place with a hose clamp?

TIA John
No codes will happen. The factory bolts will hold them in place just fine and the oil dip stick tube just bolts right back in place....the knock sensor will be fine as well.

Another hint for the install is plenty of cold beer and a pillow to sleep under your car...lol!
Zr1 Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #4
kenthompson

Quote:

Questions:

TIA John
They tell me no codes will be thrown from removing the air injection stuff.

Check this one, I used the stage 8 bolts (locking). What inconsistancy. I ordered them from Jegs, because they had them in stock. I got one package with 16 bolts!!!! Well, I got those installed on one side and promptly ordered another set. Only I had to order straight from Stage 8 because nobody had them in stock. Now, the package comes.....AND IT HAD 32 BOLTS in it. Arrgh!

I had to reuse the original bolt for the dip stick, nothing else would fit.

The only bolt I couldn't get back in was the passenger side lower front bolt. Just no way to squeeze my hand in there.

Otherwise, I'm really happy so far.

Pix coming soon.

Too many for the sig.
kenthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #5
32valvZ

Thanks for the replies! I couldnt get the o2 sensors out. Started to destroy them with an 18" pipe wrench!!....still wouldnt come out! I bought 2 new ones. My knock sensor looked like it was brought up from the bottom of the Pacific, (rusty as heck), so I bought a new one of them too. Napa had both in stock.

I did some cleaning and touch up painting on the frame rails while everything is out of the way. I also painted the headers with 1500* Plasticote header paint. I hope it will stay looking nice for a while anyway.....
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[B]SOLD[/B]
Old 05-19-2008   #6
Hammer

Talking Re: Exhaust Removal

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I couldnt get the o2 sensors out. Started to destroy them with an 18" pipe wrench!!....still wouldnt come out! I bought 2 new ones. My knock sensor looked like it was brought up from the bottom of the Pacific, (rusty as heck), so I bought a new one of them too. Napa had both in stock.

I did some cleaning and touch up painting on the frame rails while everything is out of the way. I also painted the headers with 1500* Plasticote header paint. I hope it will stay looking nice for a while anyway.....
You should heat cycle the headers by running the car just enough to see the paint starting to give off some smoke. Let it cool down and do it again several times until the smoke stops when running it. I've had real good luck with the paint staying on this way as long as the headers were prepped well.

Post pics when you are done and be sure to let let us know how the paint holds up.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #7
32valvZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
You should heat cycle the headers by running the car just enough to see the paint starting to give off some smoke. Let it cool down and do it again several times until the smoke stops when running it. I've had real good luck with the paint staying on this way as long as the headers were prepped well.

Post pics when you are done and be sure to let let us know how the paint holds up.
Actually, the instructions on the can say pretty much what you say to do. I plan on following thoroughly!! When I was a kid, I never used to read the can & spray away, bolt em on & go!! Never could figure out why the paint started flaking off almost immediately. Duhh!
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[B]SOLD[/B]
Old 05-19-2008   #8
tf95ZR1

A rec: use anti sieze on the oxygen sensors threads.
Be careful not to get any on the ends.
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #9
bradslt5

if you buy the bosch o2 sensors they allready have anti sieze on them .you should add any more . once you remove them once and are putting the same 02 back in then you should use anti sieze . jmho
bradslt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #10
Jeffvette

Quote:
Nope, just uplug the bitch.

Quote:
Nope

Quote:
No, you can use more. Use better bolts. with no spacers

Quote:
You will probably have to do a small amount of fab, you might be able to get it to work with a stock bolt and spacer though.

Quote:
Nah, no worries.

Quote:
Get ready for the permagrin to set in.