ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-09-2021   #1
Atari_Prime

Default Tensioner Pulley

I ordered a tensioner pulley for my ZR-1. A 94'. But the part received doesn't seem to match the part on the car. The pulley received is Dayco part #89001. According to the information I was able to find, that's the correct part number. This pulley does have ridges like the existing pulley but it is about half to an inch to an inch wider in circumference than existing pulley. What am I missing here?
Atari_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021   #2
Mikey

Default Re: Tensioner Pulley

I have found tensioner pulleys for older cars to be a bit all over the map. Part numbers read "correct" but do not match up. On an LS2 in a C2 I built just 15 years ago I recently had to replace the tensioner pulley due to bearing failure. Ordered the "correct" one and it was way wrong. In the end after searching online and comparing pictures and dimensions I narrowed it down to 4 and ordered them all from my FLAPS who let me return whatever I did not need.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Tensioner Pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
I ordered a tensioner pulley for my ZR-1. A 94'. But the part received doesn't seem to match the part on the car. The pulley received is Dayco part #89001. According to the information I was able to find, that's the correct part number. This pulley does have ridges like the existing pulley but it is about half to an inch to an inch wider in circumference than existing pulley. What am I missing here?

Where did you get your part from that said Dayco 89001 is for our cars? According to Rockauto you should have Dayco 89003. Check out the different specs (diameter and width) between the two and measure the one that came off your car.

Image1631245895.744186.jpgImage1631245902.839896.jpg

What made you replace the pulley? Is your tensioner okay?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021   #4
Atari_Prime

I can't get the images above to increase in size, but all the ones I found on Rock Auto had the smooth top design , no ridges to keep the belt in place (update just noticed that the Dayco on Rock Auto says smooth with flange). I then looked at Jerry's Gaskets. He has one that is theoretically the OEM Dayco design. When you put in the sku listed for the part on Jerry's site, it comes up as Dayco model 89001.

I can take a picture of what I received. I don't think I can pull the one off the engine though without a headache.

At least apperance wise, the one I received looks a lot like the image below. Would anyone be willing to take the circumferance of their pulley for comparison?

The simple thing for me to do would be to order the one from Jerry's and send mine back but right now I'm not sure if they would be any different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14078850__43098.1415644782.1280.1280.jpg (137.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 09-10-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-10-2021   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Tensioner Pulley

Quote:
I can't get the images above to increase in size, but all the ones I found on Rock Auto had the smooth top design , no ridges to keep the belt in place (update just noticed that the Dayco on Rock Auto says smooth with flange). I then looked at Jerry's Gaskets. He has one that is theoretically the OEM Dayco design. When you put in the sku listed for the part on Jerry's site, it comes up as Dayco model 89001.

I can take a picture of what I received. I don't think I can pull the one off the engine though without a headache.

At least apperance wise, the one I received looks a lot like the image below. Would anyone be willing to take the circumferance of their pulley for comparison?

The simple thing for me to do would be to order the one from Jerry's and send mine back but right now I'm not sure if they would be any different.

Got it. Sorry, I wish I could help you out but I?m not with my car or parts until I move back to Japan. I know I have two NOS tensioners with pulley but cannot recall if they have flange or not. It should be easy enough to measure the pulley on the car. As you said you can?t go wrong if you order from Jerry. For example here is the photo from Butler Chevrolet despite an old listing with no flange if the photo is correct. Unfortunately they don?t have a part number listed to cross-reference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-92-93...-127632-2357-0

1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021   #6
TX '90 ZR1

Just order one from Jerry. He knows which pulley will be correct.
An added bonus is that he is a Registry member and deserves our support for helping keep our Z's on the road.
(By the way 2022 membership is now available so you need to get in!)
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021   #7
Atari_Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
An added bonus is that he is a Registry member and deserves our support for helping keep our Z's on the road.

I tried to pay my dues about a month ago. The Marketplace store would not load for me. I emailed the Registry regarding the issue and didn't get a response.

Old 09-10-2021   #8
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX '90 ZR1 View Post
Thank you Kenny!

That's what we do, try to simplify the process. Everything we offer has been vetted to be the right part for the C4 LT5. No worries about ordering multiple parts & processing returns. Saves time hunting around. There are a LOT of parts out there that are referenced for the C4 LT5 that are just not correct.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021   #9
dredgeguy

Quote:
I tried to pay my dues about a month ago. The Marketplace store would not load for me. I emailed the Registry regarding the issue and didn't get a response.

Sorry you had a problem. Contact

John Glyder

Membership Chairman
membership@zr1netregistry.com

He will get you taken care of.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021   #10
Atari_Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post

What made you replace the pulley? Is your tensioner okay?

It wobbles and it shouldn't.