ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-04-2008   #1
8upZR1

Default ZR1 w/ SLICKS

Anyone here a drag racing junky? I was wondering if anyone has ever bolted on a set of drag slicks to their ZR1? If so what size tire and what size rim? What offset? Skinny's in front? Was the rear tire size maximized for the car?

I was just looking at some WELD drag lites I had leftover from a previous project and thought maybe they could work. They are 15's so I doubt the fronts will clear the calipers but the rears definetely will. They are kinda small, 26X10, but certainly better than street tires. I was just wondering how much tire I would be giving up by using these instead of just buying the widest thing possible.
Old 08-04-2008   #2
Pete

Default Re: ZR1 w/ SLICKS

Try the Hoosier Drag Radial 335-30-17

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #3
cward

That Hoosier DR is pretty big for stock or close to stock ZR-1. To get them off the line, you have to come off pretty aggressively. Things do start to break when you do that very often. Even with 4.10 gears. Even ET Streets were too much for my Z without spray.

Curtis
91 ZR-1 #364 RIP
cward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #4
Kevin

From what I've seen full slicks are a bit too much for most street driven ZR-1's. you'd probably be better off with drag radials rather then slicks
Old 08-04-2008   #5
8upZR1

Thanks for the info. I have a set 335/17 BF Goodrich Drag Radials that I was going to use on the street with the OEM wheels but for the track I was thinking the slicks would be best. Whenever I try to launch my ZR1 with the hard street tires that are on now I end up with miserable short times. Like 1.90s.

I know the BF radials aren't the best choice for street but my current tires are cracking & the BFs are new. Ive had them in storage for like 3 years now so I can't return them unfortunately.

My slicks are fairly small, 26X10 Mickeys. Id like to try them, after all Vipers can hook amazing with their IRS, Im sure the ZR1 can too. I doubt power, or lack thereof, will be an issue for me any more. I sold my LT5 and I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a 407 based off a Lil M block. Even with factory rear gears Im certain Ill have enough low end torque to get the car moving.

As for slowing down, I have a set of drag brakes for a Mustang that I never got around to using. Nice Aerospace Components 4 piston deals. I have never seen any on a C4 but Im gonna try them out.

I was flipping through a Jegs or Summit catalog and saw some adjustable F&R shocks for C4s. I think they were 12 way QA1's or Competition Engineering. Has anyone tried these out in place of the OEM bilsteins? I ditched my ride control as well so Im seriously considering these. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2008   #6
jonszr1

i use the qa1s on my blk zr1 that i drag. tget the double adjustables .they give you plenty of adjustment . if you go to a solid rear as i have done slicks become a good piece to but for the irs you might break stuff alot
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #7
jonszr1

i use the qa1s on my blk zr1 that i drag. tget the double adjustables .they give you plenty of adjustment . if you go to a solid rear as i have done slicks become a good piece to but for the irs you might break stuff alot
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #8
8upZR1

What type of rear end do you run? Whats involved with that swap? I imagine its quite a bit of welding. I was considering it but I dont want to get into anything too crazy. + my buddy's TT Viper still has IRS and Id really like to F him up with an IRS car. Putting shame to blown IRS cobras and TT Supras would be an added bonus of such a setup.

Also, What type of tranny is in your ZR1? Even if I keep the IRS Id like to put a Jerico 4spd W/ a gear vendor ( cause I have a new one just sittin here) in the car but I haven't seen anyone come up with a good alternative to the C-beam. I was thinking I could maybe fab some kinda mount but it might be easier to just design a new C beam replacement that bolts up easy.

I read that some of the older C4s came from the factory with a 4 spd tranny + an OD unit behind it. Does anyone know where the C beam connects on the tranny side in one of those older applications? I was thinking it might be possible to do the DR4 + GV OD by emulating that factory setup, depending on the mounting location.
Old 08-04-2008   #9
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8upZR1

I read that some of the older C4s came from the factory with a 4 spd tranny + an OD unit behind it. Does anyone know where the C beam connects on the tranny side in one of those older applications? I was thinking it might be possible to do the DR4 + GV OD by emulating that factory setup, depending on the mounting location.
Yeah the Doug Nash 4+3.. the OD bolted to the 4 spd and then the C bean bolted to the OD and then to the Rear Diff
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #10
Pete

How about a 4L80E basicly a 400 with overdrive.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote