ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 3 Days Ago   #1
Tim555

Default Electrical question: is this supposed to be here

I am still chasing down a hot no crank issue with my 1991. The new starter didn?t fix the issue. I decided to see if there was a grounding problem. I pulled the battery and found the thick negative that I think goes to the starter area. It has a splice block on it that definitely doesn?t look like it came from the factory. For context, below my hand is the battery tray. I took it apart and reseated it better than it was before. Does this thick wire in fact go to the starter? Could this be causing my issue? It didn?t feel loose, but I definitely got it seated better than it was. I?m not holding my breath, but I?d be ecstatic if for some reason this fixed it. Other info that might help is at idle the turn signals seem a bit slow and the voltage gauge moves up and down when they are on.

Edit: the splice block was on the POSITIVE side coming off the battery and then going down to the starter area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0203.jpg (165.7 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Tim555; 3 Days Ago at 11:51 AM.
Tim555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #2
Tim555

Default Re: Electrical question: is this supposed to be here

Just got back from a drive. The hot start issue still exists.
Old 3 Days Ago   #3
hotroddaddyo

Question Re: Electrical question: is this supposed to be here

Have you confirmed the ground/negative cable connection is good? ... not just looks good but tight and not corroded at the frame.
hotroddaddyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #4
Tim555

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroddaddyo View Post
Have you confirmed the ground/negative cable connection is good? ... not just looks good but tight and not corroded at the frame.
You mean the ones by the bellhousing? I will check those next.
Old 2 Days Ago   #5
hotroddaddyo

Specifically confirm proper ground of negative battery cable and any ground wire/cable/strap between engine and frame.
Perhaps your starter isn't getting sufficient ground source, so maybe try connecting a single jumper cable from an appropriate clean location on engine block to an appropriate clean location on frame (to create new/additional grounding)... if nothing yet, try jumper from engine block to negative battery terminal.
Heat expansion can compromise connections. I am thinking ground issue as you stated turn signal operation affects voltage gauge.... check that alternator wiring is secure, too.
If still not resolved, I recommend you check out the wiring to the starter solenoid.... unfortunately, it likely requires pulling plenum.

Last edited by hotroddaddyo; 2 Days Ago at 11:50 PM.
hotroddaddyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6
Marc Haibeck

The battery needs to supply 12.5 volts or more when the hot no start condition is present. Check the battery voltage with the ignition off and the doors closed.

The clutch switch is a suspect. An easy way to move forward is to install a 12 gauge wire to bypass the switch. The clutch switch has two black wires in a black connector. The other side of the connector has purple and a yellow wires. Jumper the purple and yellow wires together. Drive the car and see if this makes a difference.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7
Z51JEFF

The question is why is there this type of splice,is there an aftermarket stereo in the car?
Z51JEFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Hours Ago   #8
Tim555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Haibeck View Post
The battery needs to supply 12.5 volts or more when the hot no start condition is present. Check the battery voltage with the ignition off and the doors closed.

The clutch switch is a suspect. An easy way to move forward is to install a 12 gauge wire to bypass the switch. The clutch switch has two black wires in a black connector. The other side of the connector has purple and a yellow wires. Jumper the purple and yellow wires together. Drive the car and see if this makes a difference.
The clutch switch seems to work. When I turn the key with the clutch depressed the voltage (as indicated on the instrument cluster) drops. Without the clutch depressed, it rises slightly. Could the clutch switch or its associated circuitry be faulty and have a higher resistance than its supposed to even though it appears good? I did unplug it and tryjumpering the purple and yellow wires but this didnt seem to work. I?ll try with thicker wire since all The starting current has to pass through it. The next step is just to wire in a relay to send current directly from the battery to the starter. The process is described in this post for anyone else who?s having a similar problem https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pefully-2.html

Still didn?t get a chance to warm the car up and try connecting a jumper cable from the engine to the battery or frame to rule out an engine ground.

Edit to add I did check the battery voltage with the car off and doors closed. It?s 12.5. It?s a new battery from the fall. I?ll have the local advance auto load test it. I?ve seen batteries before that seem good but fail a load test. That said, when it does start it cranks over pretty fast and it doesn?t sound like the battery is weak.

Last edited by Tim555; 4 Hours Ago at 12:06 PM.
Old 4 Hours Ago   #9
Tim555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
The question is why is there this type of splice,is there an aftermarket stereo in the car?
The block just splices the positive battery cable. It doesn?t split it. There is an aftermarket stereo but it has its own lead off the positive battery terminal.
Old 2 Hours Ago   #10
Tim555

I may have bigger problems to deal with. When driving the car to warm it up it started making this noise. It happened abruptly during easy driving (off throttle, in town going down a hill at maybe 30mph). It sounds top end.

https://youtube.com/shorts/bMqIPn26r...JLZIm1N9ZcjiIc