ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-12-2013   #1
Mitsumark

Default Stranded.Is it VATS?

Fellas,This car (91Z)seems to dislike me..I'm stuck about 9 miles from home with a no start issue..Jumped in the car to go to the store,everything was fine until I came out of the store 10 min later.There were absolutely no issues before this incident.Ive already confirmed the battery is fully charged.When I put the key in with the clutch down as usual,I get all the dummy lights on the dash as I should..But no crank at all..No cranking at all..I start thinking about my old 3rd Gen TA days and problems with the VATS..If memory serves me right,if there was a problem with the VATS,the security light would continue to blink even when trying to start..In my case now it blinks upon door entry and with the key inserted into the ignition..Once I turn it to the run position to attemp to start it goes out..If there was a problem with the VATS,wouldn't the light continue to blink?My tach slightly jumps and I'm pretty sure I can hear the fuel pump prime..But there is no starter action.Not even a click..I had my wife drive out the spare key..No dice..Please help..
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #2
vilant

Default Re: Stranded.Is it VATS?

Could be the clutch switch, there is a way to bypass it. Let me look.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #3
XfireZ51

Wait a bit longer. Try pumping the clutch. Hold it down completely.
Welcome to the club.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #4
Kevin

Pull driver’s side hush panel.
Locate striped purple wire that goes to clutch switch.
Look at switch and note the color of wire coming back up.(Yellow??)
If you found them—the jumper will go from the Yellow to the purple stripe. You be able to jumper them right there without messing with that ##*!!$ clutch switch.
I used a 3 in #12 wire with terminals (from Radio Shack number 64-3133) on the end and unplugged the wires going to switch and plugged in the jumper wire.
Old 08-12-2013   #5
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pull driver’s side hush panel.
Locate striped purple wire that goes to clutch switch.
Look at switch and note the color of wire coming back up.(Yellow??)
If you found them—the jumper will go from the Yellow to the purple stripe. You be able to jumper them right there without messing with that ##*!!$ clutch switch.
I used a 3 in #12 wire with terminals (from Radio Shack number 64-3133) on the end and unplugged the wires going to switch and plugged in the jumper wire.
I made this jumper permanent on mine. PITA to replace clutch switch.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #6
vilant

They beat me to it, lol. Hopefully that gets you up and running.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #7
ALZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsumark View Post
Fellas,This car (91Z)seems to dislike me..I'm stuck about 9 miles from home with a no start issue..Jumped in the car to go to the store,everything was fine until I came out of the store 10 min later.There were absolutely no issues before this incident.Ive already confirmed the battery is fully charged.When I put the key in with the clutch down as usual,I get all the dummy lights on the dash as I should..But no crank at all..No cranking at all..I start thinking about my old 3rd Gen TA days and problems with the VATS..If memory serves me right,if there was a problem with the VATS,the security light would continue to blink even when trying to start..In my case now it blinks upon door entry and with the key inserted into the ignition..Once I turn it to the run position to attemp to start it goes out..If there was a problem with the VATS,wouldn't the light continue to blink?My tach slightly jumps and I'm pretty sure I can hear the fuel pump prime..But there is no starter action.Not even a click..I had my wife drive out the spare key..No dice..Please help..

It sounds like A sstarter is out.This has happened to before.
if you open the hood locate that wiring harness riight by the ECM and find the purple wire that is used for the starter you'll have to strip some of the sheathing from that and A power wire (+) jump the two (make sure you have the car in neutral it will start.

AL.
ALZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #8
Dynomite

Permanent fix......Install the Starter Solenoid Relay and Clean the Starter Solenoid contacts.....

Semi Permanent fix.........Get my tow adapter and just have someone with your short tow rope you carry tug you for about 20 feet and pop the clutch in second with key on.....and away you go.....

Temporary fix.........Get two guys if you are on the level to push you by hand for about 20 feet with key on and pop the clutch in second gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Wait a bit longer. Try pumping the clutch. Hold it down completely.
Welcome to the club.
Do what XfireZ51 says......

Oh....ya....I am no longer in that club....because I implemented the Permanent fix as well as the Semi Permanent fix as a backup

Last edited by Dynomite; 08-12-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #9
Mitsumark

Thanks for the ideas so far.. I've left the car where it is for tonight.I will have to go at it again tomorrow after work..So it seems so far that it doesn't sound like VATS as the security light goes out once attempting to start.?Id be very surprised if it was the starter as usually with a bad starter you would usually get a click or grind..I can't even hear a click.The starter is only a yr old too..I know that doesn't matter..I'm thinking the clutch switch..I'll keep you guys posted..Thanks so much..
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013   #10
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsumark View Post
Thanks for the ideas so far.. I've left the car where it is for tonight.I will have to go at it again tomorrow after work..So it seems so far that it doesn't sound like VATS as the security light goes out once attempting to start.?Id be very surprised if it was the starter as usually with a bad starter you would usually get a click or grind..I can't even hear a click.The starter is only a yr old too..I know that doesn't matter..I'm thinking the clutch switch..I'll keep you guys posted..Thanks so much..
Have no clue how you are parked....but take a synthetic tow rope with you and with the car that brings you....tow the Z back on to a flat area and then switch around to the front and tow for about 30 ft and pop clutch in second with key on. Just grab a strut as the tow forces are just a couple hundred lbs if that. Here is my Emergency Kit with Jumper Cables and Tow Rope kept at bottom of compartment behind passenger seat and Tow Adapter/Lug Wrench kept to right of Passenger Seat between Door Sill and Seat Post 16 - Lifting and Towing the ZR-1

15 ft tow rope (5,000 lb vehicle rating), Jumper Cables, Tow Adapter, Lug Wrench

But before you tow the Z......turn the key to start and she may just fire right up without the little pull.

Then do not turn the key off untill you get home....then install the relay and if you want to mess with the plenum.....remove the plenum and coils and starter......Post 64 - Inspection, Testing and Reconditioning the Valley, Starter, and Coils

Starter Relay, Wiring Harness, Battery, and Plugs Tricks

1. Starter Solenoid Contacts.

I had a NO START condition on this 90' and after I towed it for a start....got home and it fired right up. I would have liked to hot wire the starter (purple wire) when that happens to see if it is the starter or starter ground circuit. Or check that purple wire for 12 volts when I turn the switch to start. I lean toward ground circuit or sticky starter solenoid. Another indication would be if when you turn the ignition key to start do the lights dim for example indicating a current draw to the starter solenoid/starter.

If the solenoid does not move (no clicking indicating the Starter Solenoid moved) as in my case then a sticky Solenoid or Solenoid Ground Connection. If the Solenoid clicked/moved...then bad Solenoid contacts or bad connection Battery cable (Positive) to starter/battery or bad ground (Negative) engine to battery.

Installed a relay in the start circuit of the 90' identical to what I have on the 91'. This is one of those intermittent issues and does sound like poor electrical connections in either the Starter Negative Connections or Starter Positive Connections.
Starter Relay, Wiring Harness, Battery, and Plugs Tricks

The Starter Solenoid is shown in the left photo with slight burnt contacts in right photo.

The Solenoid contacts in left photo were wire brushed clean in right photo.

Complete Starter Disassembly.
Photo provided by others.

Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote