ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 2 Days Ago   #1
BlackSheepz

Default Aftermarket Head Unit Question

Hey everyone,
I apologize since I'm sure this has been asked before a thousand times but I can't find a definitive thread using the search and anything I DID Find had broken links due to age. So here we go again.

My Base 1992 C4 is headed to a new home next week after 13 years. No reason other than I've got too many cars and don't want to keep doing all the maintenance. That means my ZR-1 will get driven more (Yessssss!).

I want to replace my ZR-1 Head unit with something a bit more modern, but I would prefer to NOT have to modify the plastic frame of the dash. On Jim Voter's (WB93Z) suggestion I installed a Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX in my base 1992 and it's absolutely amazing except because of the CD Player in it you needed to shave down the plastic housing in the dash on the bottom so it would be accessible/fully functional.

Am I correct in assuming that a different 7" Double Din unit would work just fine if it did not have a CD player?
Something like this?

Or even this?

1- I'm not worried about the speakers. I'm planning to get the cable that adapts it to the current BOSE speakers/Amps.
2- Yes, I can afford to replace the whole setup, but I'd just rather not. The Pioneer sounded amazing on the BOSE speakers/amps using the adapter cable in my 92 so why re-invent the wheel?

Recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Marc
1990 ZR-1 #2530

1992 LT1 6 speed

Gone but not forgotten:
1988 Z52 4+3

BlackSheepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #2
Subfixer

Default Re: Aftermarket Head Unit Question

I used the DMH-C2550NEX with Crutchfield's adaptor cable using the original Bose amp/speaker combo.
The only mod needed was to trim the plastic behind the radio for some clearance.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
1992 ZR1 #442, 2 tops, White, White, Haibeck 415, 3.90 gear, Coilovers
2018 Audi RS5, 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo, Auto, Black, Black
2021 Audi Q3, 2.0T, 8 spd Tiptronic, Navarro Blue metallic, Pearl Beige
Subfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #3
secondchance

Although I have not installed either Pioneer DMH you and subfixer referred to, having installed 3 Pioneers double din units with CD and DVD players, as long as front panel doesn?t have to flip open (as with DMHs), you should be able to install the unit behind the bezel opening with minor mod to mounting adapters.
And, I agree OEM Bose set up is hard to beat with non-OEM amp and speakers due to lack of room up front.
One trick is to replace 50 w C4 corvette Bose ams with 100 w Bose amps used in mid 90s Cadillacs. This allows a bit more oomph to the system.

https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread...ight=Subwoofer

Adding a low profile sub hooked up to a dedicated amp for subwoofer only can be done and adds missing base to the sound but it a whole new subject.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #4
secondchance

Sorry? accidentally posted the same twice.
Old 1 Day Ago   #5
scorp508

I just installed a Pioneer DMH-5700NEX in my '94 but it already had an older aftermarket 2-DIN unit, so the frame behind it had been modified. The radio trim panel itself covering it is unmodified. This is a media only head unit; no CD/DVD tray, just HD radio, Satellite radio apps, whatever apps are on your phone, then there's an auxiliary input and you can use USB thumb-drive if you want to.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TYPyut...053453cd26ac90

Having HD FM Radio, Wired/wireless CarPlay, built-in GPS, and everything else a modern vehicle comes with has been a refreshing experience.

I used this Metra harness...

https://www.crutchfield.com/product/...px?i=120701857

I used this mounting kit....

https://www.crutchfield.com/product/...px?i=120993051
1994: ZR-1 #150, Admiral Blue / Black
2015: Z06 Coupe, Z07, M7, Arctic White / Red

Last edited by scorp508; 1 Day Ago at 02:08 PM.
scorp508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #6
BlackSheepz

Thanks for the tips everyone.
I am thinking I may go with this unit.

https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-DMHW4...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Past me was looking out for future me because it turns out I two of THESE and still have one.

The one I had before had the built in GPS, but I am not sure I can justify the $1200 for the current version of that unit. This one doesn?t seem to go as far into the dash either which means maybe no interior modification and plenty of space to hide the 18? worth of adapter cable that usually gets shipped. Wish it had physical buttons but on well.

Anybody think of any issues with this plan?

Thanks!
1990 ZR-1 #2530

1992 LT1 6 speed

Gone but not forgotten:
1988 Z52 4+3

BlackSheepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #7
scorp508

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepz View Post

The depth, or lack of it, for that unit is impressive and yeah it may mean no need to cut the part in the back. May have to buy one to test and find out.

Quote:
....and plenty of space to hide the 18? worth of adapter cable that usually gets shipped. Wish it had physical buttons but on well.
You're not kidding on the long harnesses!

You don't want that cavity too full to prevent adequate venting and air circulation. I'd recommend leaving just enough length so you can pull the head unit out easily. My current plan, haven't done it yet, is to de-pin my metra harness behind the passenger seat while everything is installed, cut the wires to a more manageable length, then crimp new terminal ends on and put the connectors back on.

If you don't have the terminal ends you could just cut the wires, remove some length, then use your preferred method of reconnecting. I'd rather do that than have six extra feet of wire crammed in somewhere.
scorp508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #8
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepz View Post

Past me was looking out for future me because it turns out I two of THESE and still have one.

The one I had before had the built in GPS, but I am not sure I can justify the $1200 for the current version of that unit. This one doesn?t seem to go as far into the dash either which means maybe no interior modification and plenty of space to hide the 18? worth of adapter cable that usually gets shipped. Wish it had physical buttons but on well.

Anybody think of any issues with this plan?

Thanks!
Built in GPS/Navigation no longer make any sense. In my 22 Corvette I run Waze and AppleCarPlay displays it on the display panel.

As for the Metra harness, if you know how to solder, you can cut and shorten the harness where it plugs into factory connector. Cutting RCA cable reveals wire in the middle which is positive signal wire and wire mesh shielding. Wiremesh gets rolled and insulated with heat shrink and is the ground. Both gets soldered to appropriate wire going into the connector that gets plugged into factory harness. When you dissect Metra harness, it will all make sense.

Last edited by secondchance; 23 Hours Ago at 11:08 AM.
Old 1 Day Ago   #9
AndrewL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp508 View Post
The depth, or lack of it, for that unit is impressive and yeah it may mean no need to cut the part in the back. May have to buy one to test and find out.

You should have plenty of room with that. I believe the Pioneer unit pictured has even less depth (3.3"?) than my setup. I'm running an Alpine ILX-W650E with an add-on KTA-450 amplifier (that sits behind the ILX-650E). The combination has a 5" mounting depth and it all fits in the dash without modifying the plastic at the rear of the radio, even with all the wiring for both devices.

Last edited by AndrewL; 1 Day Ago at 01:53 AM.
AndrewL is offline   Reply With Quote