ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-07-2009   #1
Glen Perronne

Default Headers

I am installing headers from SW and found that the #1 cyl pipe hits the steering shaft,Has any one else had this problem?
Thanks Glen
Glen Perronne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: Headers

Hi Glen, yes that has happened before. Jeff, from PNWZR-1.com, aka Jeffvette. There is a thread here covering that. Just do a search under Jeffvette. He ran into that issue on a customer's car. However, those headers that gave Jeff the install grief were made before the ones being sold in our NetRegistry store now.

The headers in the ZR-1 store are a new batch from new jigs. I believe it was the old jigs that had become "worn out" (?) that caused the fittment issues. I am under the impression that even when the pipes were dead on, that there was never much clearance for the #1 primary pipe going past the steering shaft, maybe 1/8" at best. That is all from memory so check the thread out to be sure, cause I suffer from being senile sometimes. I would call Jim at Stainless anyway as that would be the definitive answer.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #3
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Perronne View Post
I am installing headers from SW and found that the #1 cyl pipe hits the steering shaft,Has any one else had this problem?
Thanks Glen
Glen,

I think Tom is right and there might have been a problem with 1 Z. Call Jim on Monday @ 440-543-4932. He will make it right... If not, let us know!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #4
tomtom72

Don't know if I did this correctly but here gose. The links to the threads are :

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/...hlight=headers

alright it didn't work for both links I wanted to give you. This maybe part 1 or part 2 to Jeff's thread about the fittment issues. I searched the Tech section using "headers". Go to the second page, about 1/2 way down looking for Jeffvette and you will see the threads.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 02-07-2009   #5
tomtom72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
Glen,

I think Tom is right and there might have been a problem with 1 Z. Call Jim on Monday @ 440-543-4932. He will make it right... If not, let us know!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

David
Dave!

It might have been two different cars. One case was worse than the other, I think. The main point is that Jeff's trouble, I believe, was with headers made form the old jigs....I'm almost 100% positive it wasn't from the stuff we have in the store, those are made with the new jigs. But I'd call Jim anyway.

Old 02-07-2009   #6
Jeffvette

Glen, here is the link to the 90 car that I had problems with.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5637

It was a noticeable issue and SSW did take care of it, although the time factor irritated me, mainly being tied up in a car that was done, except for the headers.

If you have any questions give me a shout on Monday when I get back into town.
Old 02-07-2009   #7
Zr1 Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Perronne View Post
Thanks Glen
Mark where it's rubbing on the header....remove it.....heat it up and dimple it....put it back on the car!

If I had a dollar for every bolt on part that didn't fit and had to be modded I'd be a millionare!!!

Last edited by Zr1 Destroyer; 02-07-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Zr1 Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #8
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr1 Destroyer View Post
Mark where it's rubbing on the header....remove it.....heat it up and dimple it....put it back on the car!

If I had a dollar for every bolt on part that didn't fit and had to be modded I'd be a millionare!!!

Spoke with Glen, he said the headers were coated. Will that ruin the coating if he heats it up?

ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #9
Zr1 Destroyer

Quote:
Spoke with Glen, he said the headers were coated. Will that ruin the coating if he heats it up?

Bummer.....you have to get it glowing red hot to dimple! I wouldn't risk it and make the header company eat it since they're coated!
Zr1 Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #10
Jeffvette

Quote:

Sweet gotta love that.

You will ruin the coating by the heating process and also beating the crap out of it to dimple. Hopefully SSW is the one that did the coating. Send it back.