ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-27-2013   #1
SteelBlueZR1

Exclamation Need Moral Support - Starter Seized Post Plenum Pull

So, I managed to successfully complete my first plenum pull alone to fix and replace the secondary actuator solenoid, which was leaking badly, and system vacuum now holds. Using Jim's really handy secondary tester, everything worked as it should... BUT, I went to start up the car and the starter turned and then seized.

I made sure the battery was fully charged and left the car on a trickle charger overnight, and tried again this morning. Engine cranked for a second and now starter just clunks or clicks. Arghhh!

I was hold to cover the coolant passages in the plenum when putting the plenum back on, but maybe some coolant got on the starter, or I did not drain enough. I am now really concerned that coolant got in the engine cylinders.

So, I have ordered a new Delco starter on EBay, which will arrivein a few days and would love the help
and expertise of my WAZOO brothers when doing the starter installation and plenum pull #2.

Also, I need your advice on how to prove there is no coolant in the cylinders, and/or evacuate any coolant before starting the car to prevent anti-freeze in my oil.

Thanks for the help and support
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by SteelBlueZR1; 04-28-2013 at 11:35 PM.
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #2
LGAFF

Default Re: Need Moral Support - Starter Seized Post Plenum Pull

Just did mine last night
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #3
XfireZ51

Really not a big deal. BTW, I have a couple of spare starters.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

If ever you think you might have water in the cylinder(s), you can pull the plugs and crank it. If there is water in there, it will come squirting out and likely splatter on the cieling if tthere is enough in there. That will clear them pretty well. This works for a cylinde filled with fuel as well.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #5
Z51JEFF

Pulling the starter is pretty much straight forward.If you got the plenum off and the car and back together,the starter is the easy part.There are several NOS starters on Fleabay for around $185 if anybody needs one.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #6
Jagdpanzer

Burt,
If you think coolant may have drained into one of the cylinders then you should emediatly pull all of the spark plungs and try to crank the engine over to blow it out. If a cylinder has enough coolant in it the motor will hydraulicly lock up and stall the starter moter when you try to crank it with the plugs in because coolant will not compress.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #7
SteelBlueZR1

If I turned over the motor with the starter and it cranked for a few seconds combined, before pulling plugs, is the starter turning the crank and hydrolock capabable of causing internal engine damage? I am pulling plugs first thing this morning and will try cranking and see what comes out.
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-28-2013   #8
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Damage resulting from hydolock is not unheard of, but -
1) pull the plugs first and try cranking it to clear the cylinders. If one or more are "wet", that should take care of that.

2) If the problem is not hydolocking, then you may only be looking at the starter (and that ain't no biggie - aside from pulling the plenum again).

Sight unseen, I'm kinda doing a head-scratch as to how you could have got that much coolant in to the cylinder to begin with...ASSUMING you drained a couple gallons out of the radiator before pulling the IHs. Therefore, I'm leaning toward it being starter-related.

Good luck this morning. Let us hear what you find.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #9
SteelBlueZR1

My ZR-1 is running great and the starter was not seized. I pulled the plugs this morning and found some antifreeze had leaked during the plenum pull into the d/s front cylinder. This fluid prevented the engine from cranking at all, and was evacuated easily with a pump. So my first plenum pull was a success, and no second pull is needed, as the starter seems fine. I installed new platinum Delco spark plugs and then said a prayer, and turned the key...
The engine started right up for the first time, post plenum pull, and the exhaust spewed white smoke for a few minutes. I immediately had the oil changed, in case it was contaminated with anti-freeze.

I drove the car and found it ran super strong and accelerated smoother than ever, after replacing the fuel pumps, the secondary actuator solenoid, secondary vacuum canister, the map hose, and zip tying all the vacuum lines.

A huge shout out to Jim for calling me this Sunday morning at 8am to offer to come over and give me a hand with the spark plugs. It was great to have Jim around to confirm that all was ok before starting her up the first time... not to mention his super cool tools that make every job easier -

1) A plug socket with a piano wire to pull it out of the heads, after installing the #8 plug.
2) A secondary tester, consisting of a secondary actuator plug, battery terminal connectors and a button switch to test the secondaries without probing the ECM.
3) Every imaginable terminal/Connector tool to replace the plugs for my TPS and IAC which had broken tabs.

A BIG THANK YOU to Jim and everyone who provided me moreal support at what seemed like a very dark time that luckily resulted in no long-term problems and a super strong running LT5!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-29-2013   #10
dredgeguy

Bert,
Glad it went well and has a happy ending!

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plenum pull starter wet