ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-27-2010   #1
Don in VT

Default Dim instruments

Hi All,

Does anyone have any tips on how to brighten up the lighting on the 90 instrument panel. We can deal with the fact the the instruments really suck but our ZR IP is totally unreadable in the daylight. It could be that we have some bulbs out of whatever but I would like to get the most out of a baad system. My 87 IP (even though it is pinball machineish) it is always readable and it is accurate.

Best Regards,

Don and Cherry
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #2
phrogs

Default Re: Dim instruments

did you move the little handle on the headlight switch? It has dimmer writen by it move that up and down, that controls the brightness of the interior lighting.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.

Last edited by phrogs; 08-27-2010 at 09:38 PM.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #3
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in VT View Post
the fact the the instruments really suck but our ZR IP is totally unreadable in the daylight.

I have to totally disagree with you on this statement there is nothing wrong with ZR-1 IP or the ability to read either day or night. Phrogs is correct if that doesnt work you have bulb issues.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #4
Aurora40

Try turning on the parking lights, see if that helps. If so, maybe your light sensor is dirty/covered? It will also let you see if the panel is uniformly lit. If it's still dim, maybe some bulbs have gone.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010   #5
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
I have to totally disagree with you on this statement there is nothing wrong with ZR-1 IP or the ability to read either day or night. Phrogs is correct if that doesnt work you have bulb issues.
I'd have to go ahead and disagree with you...

The tach is analog and oftentimes inaccurate. The speedo lags like a mofo when accelerating. The temp gauges are only slightly more useful than an idiot light, because they aren't linear.

If they were digital needle gauges, they would be awesome. But the early 'vettes had very accurate instrumentation. The '90 traded accuracy for appearance (though I prefer the look too). It would have been much nicer if they upped the appearance but kept the accuracy.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #6
batchman

Does the car have Daytime Running Lights? Our car was Canadian delivery and I vaguely remember an issue with the DRL's. In ours, the panel adjusts with the dimmer only when lights are on (as in night). In the daytime with no lights on the dimmer does nothing and the IP is bright enough for all but direct full sun. Sounds to me like your IP thinks it's night-time and perhaps DRL could be a culprit.

Good luck,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #7
Don in VT

Thanks for all the input and I will check out the system to see if it is all operating.

I am on my 26 Corvette and the IP on the 90 is the worst. The best is my current 87 which is the most accurate set of instruments I have ever had on any car I have owned and my last count of cars I've owned is 97. Having said all that having a ZR1 in the family is a true pleasure and driving the ZR is pure automotive erotica.

Thanks again everyone

Don
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote