ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-14-2021   #1
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Power steering hose replacements/substitutes

Hello all,

I think it?s about time to pull my rack and pinion and send out to Turn One for a rebuild. At lower speeds it doesn?t feel too bad, but noticeable slack until it feels like the wheels are responding. At anything above interstate speeds, the term numb even seems an understatement, more like nerve wracking. While I have the rack out, I?ll rebuild the power steering pump and replace what I can with the hoses. The car is at 90,000 miles.

I?m curious as to anyone?s substitute hoses or part numbers for using in place of the factory hoses that may not be available.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Power steering hose replacements/substitutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Hello all,

I think it?s about time to pull my rack and pinion and send out to Turn One for a rebuild. At lower speeds it doesn?t feel too bad, but noticeable slack until it feels like the wheels are responding. At anything above interstate speeds, the term numb even seems an understatement, more like nerve wracking. While I have the rack out, I?ll rebuild the power steering pump and replace what I can with the hoses. The car is at 90,000 miles.

I?m curious as to anyone?s substitute hoses or part numbers for using in place of the factory hoses that may not be available.
I?ll share my experience with C4 steering I had with 84 Z51 and 94 ZR-1.
84 after about 80,000 miles started to exhibit what is called morning sickness. This is a sysmtom, when the car is cold, experiencing momentary lack of power assist. This sysmtom, I believe, comes from deterioration of internal O ring and require rebuild.
With my 94, at around 130,000 miles, started to notice sloppiness especially between left and right - at center. Long story short, I too had the rack rebuilt at Turn One (best outfit for C4 rack rebuild best I can tell) and during the install, noticed lower control arm bushings at the rear had worn out to a point where rear of lower control arm was moving as much as 1/8?. I replaced both rear bushings (left and right). This improved the situation but did not cure the vague fell completely. Removing the steering rod, I could tell that there was tiny sloppiness at the rag joint. This tiny slop, at the steering wheel was getting amplified to as much as 1/4?.
While removing and replacing the rack, go through those components I described.
As far as hoses, they are ZR-1 specific but you should be able to reuse without replacing.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021   #3
rkreigh

they are a bit hard to get. But I found a tip. if the ends are bad, look up a trucker buddy. They get hydraulic hoses made up custom all the time and it's affordable. I'd like to use some nice aftermarket braided hose that would look cool
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021   #4
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Thank you for the recommendations. Had a fellow forum member hook me up with a new replacement pressure side hose. The rack is out and I knew it would be rough in the area behind the power steering pump but more than I was expecting. I tried to cheat removing the PS pump and reservoir by sliding it down into the empty space the rack had occupied. No dice.

Have to drain the coolant and remove part of the coolant system per the FSM. Attaching some pics to see what could be causing the leak. The lower end cam plug was a little wet. As for the rest deep down...guess I won?t know until I crawl under and start cleaning. Turn One has a turnaround time of about 3 or 4 weeks so I guess that gives me time to clean and pinpoint the leak.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2021   #5
1991 Corvette ZR-1

I cleaned things up a little for a start. There?s actually an LT5 under that stuff. The bottom of the compressor is caked. Part of me wonders if there was a leak from the compressor but that?s too convenient. I?m going to say it?s most likely the front pan bolts are loose and seeped oil which has covered most of the front of the block over the years.

Old 02-18-2021   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

It looks like you are doing a nice job there Jamall. It does not look like a current leak so curious to know what you find. Best wishes with the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021   #7
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
It looks like you are doing a nice job there Jamall. It does not look like a current leak so curious to know what you find. Best wishes with the repair.

Thanks, Craig. I do have an ?artifact? I kept for future reference that I found in the cradle a year or so back while cleaning. Maybe sharper eyes can identify this but to me, it looks like a piece of the original factory front cover gasket. So someone has been in here for work. Wether it was the front cover leaking or water pump related, I?m not sure.

I remember the PVC box gasket I replaced had the same blue pinstripe, so I am assuming this is a piece of an original factory gasket. I?m aware of the oil pan bolts loosening but have never heard of the front cover bolts doing the same. I?ll check torque of what cover bolts I can from under the car now that the rack is out.

Old 02-18-2021   #8
Dynomite

Quote:
So someone has been in here for work. Wether it was the front cover leaking or water pump related, I?m not sure.
Water Pump gasket 👍
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021   #9
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Thanks, Craig. I do have an ?artifact? I kept for future reference that I found in the cradle a year or so back while cleaning. Maybe sharper eyes can identify this but to me, it looks like a piece of the original factory front cover gasket. So someone has been in here for work. Wether it was the front cover leaking or water pump related, I?m not sure.

I remember the PVC box gasket I replaced had the same blue pinstripe, so I am assuming this is a piece of an original factory gasket. I?m aware of the oil pan bolts loosening but have never heard of the front cover bolts doing the same. I?ll check torque of what cover bolts I can from under the car now that the rack is out.

You are welcome. I agree with Dynomite and he has Bingo. One thing always seems to lead to another with our cars.

1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021   #10
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Thanks, guys. That?s a relief and it makes sense because the water pump did look a little brighter than the surrounding aluminum. Rack is all crated up and shipping out tomorrow. It?s probably overkill but I?d rather pay extra and have piece of mind the hard lines are not in danger.