ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-31-2008   #1
Z51JEFF

Default Over charging...................

What would cause an over charging problem?With the car idling the gage sits at 17 volts.I havent checked anything with a meter yet,just found this NEW problem.most likely the voltage regulator.I get the car back togather from replacing the injectors and now I need to remove the plenum to remove the altenator
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Over charging...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
What would cause an over charging problem?With the car idling the gage sits at 17 volts.I havent checked anything with a meter yet,just found this NEW problem.most likely the voltage regulator.I get the car back togather from replacing the injectors and now I need to remove the plenum to remove the altenator

Either a bad gauge (doubtful) or an overzealous internal regulator would be my guess
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #3
Jagdpanzer

put a meter on it first to make sure the dash gauge is reading right.
if you realy are seeing 17 volts the batterie could be toast
Jagdpanzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #4
tomtom72

I'm not so sure that the gauge is designed to give us a linear read out except at the extreme edges of the sweep....kind of like our oil & water temp gauges if ya know what I mean??? What I'm trying to say is that the volt gauge should not be relied upon for any diagnostic in the micro sense.....it's purely a macro reading....if it don't move at all or if it gets pegged there is something wrong for sure, anything in the swept area is only an approximate volt reading.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #5
Z51JEFF

What are the chances of this being a bad battery?I drove the car to work last night to see if this was a fluke,no dice.I had a few minutes so I took my meter and checked voltage at the battery and at idle it was 16 volts,raise the RPM and the volts would come up.The altenator in this car is fairly new,that dont mean squat I know.If its the voltage regulator Ill just get at it.Driving the car I had to turn on everything to bring the volts down just to get the battery Icon to go out in the panel display.
Old 08-01-2008   #6
zr1don

If there are weak cells in the battery the alternator try's to charge them. If the battery is fully charged the voltage should come down to the 13.8 to 14.2 range. Also, what is your battery voltage w/o engine running. A charged battery should be over 12 volts, new around 12.8 volts.
zr1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Over charging..YIKES!

I'm not a chemical engineer, but from my days of specifying, building, writing about, and inspecting lead acid batteries and systems for remote radio and microwave repeater sites, I can tell ya that 17 volts across a twelve volt battery in typical summer temperatures will boil the crap outta the lead/acid battery in no time! I would expect to see some evidence of that on the top of the battery; 17 volts being the case.

I would put a volt meter across the battery terminals (engine running) and see what is really going on. If the charging voltage is in fact around 17, chances are your regulator is whacked, or there is a bad ground in the charging circuit, perhaps.

But, if the voltage across the battery is "normal" (approx. 14.5 immediately after normal engine start or 13.5 after driving for say an hour or so in normal summer temps), I'd say it was your gauge or perhaps a bad ground in the instrument cluster(?).

First thing tho...Ya wanna know what that charging voltage actually is, so I'd start there first.

Good luck. Hope it is just a funky gauge reading and your battery is not cooked!

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008   #8
QB93Z

My local battery place will do a system test of the charging system and the battery capacity for free. That would give a definitive answer to what is going on.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #9
Z51JEFF

Voltage across the battery is 16+ volts ay idle.Ive got everything apart and have a new regulator.
Old 08-03-2008   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Question Re: Over charging...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Voltage across the battery is 16+ volts ay idle.Ive got everything apart and have a new regulator.
Is that 16+ with the new regulator installed, or are you referring to the voltage across the battery w/ the old regulator installed, and you have the alternator apart, ready for the new regulator? (I'm cornfoozed )

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote