View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Craigslist ad in Miami, 1991 LT5 with rod knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMYRC51 View Post
I am trying to get in touch with the guy so I can stop by and take a look at it. He is in my area.

Craig,
Ye ol dual mass flywheel combined with a bad injector will sound very much like rod knock, I kin tell ya from experience. But, when idling, if you (or someone) presses in on the clutch and the noise is abated, then chances are it is an injector(s) going south especially if the injectors are original (same goes for all pre-93 cars.)

That being the case, then after the engine is good and warm, perform a resistance check of all the injectors. Depending on make, the resistance readings among all the injectors should read very close. Some, depending on make, will read around 12 ohms, and others closer to 14 ohms; the key being they should all read very close. IF one or more is 2 ohms or more below the rest, that one is suspect. But if it is something like 4 + ohms lower that the rest, chances are you have the culprit.

But, if it does NOT go away with either the clutch peddle IN while in neutral OR especially if the noise becomes more pronounced under load in normal driving situations (clutch engaged), then rod knock becomes a concern.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-30-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote