View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013   #8
RHanselman

Default Re: Twin Turbo ZR-1 musing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
no doubt! 613 from a low compression LT5 is no joke and about as much power as you can put down.
I'm not at the limit just yet. I'm only pushing 10 psi and the engine was built for 15. I need to change my IC and the exhaust housing on the turbo's. I believe I can get 800+ from this setup. It may require a larger center exhaust pipe but that's yet to be determined.

Quote:
I have some personal preference to the front mount turbos for simplicity, but after seeing so many great results from the rear mounts it's probably just not needed to "re engineer" a solution.
After working with my rear mount I would say it's simpler just because of the room requirements. It's much easier to get to everything on the rear mount. The oil return system is a little more complex but it's been a proven design on both my LT5 and LT1 rear mount cars.

Quote:
Ron, any change you and Corey might be interested in the idea down the road?
Yes, Corey has expressed a desire to go for 1000+ rwhp. He just needs someone with the desire and deeper pockets than required for the rear mount.

Quote:
please understand, not trying to steal any thunder, just putting ideas out there.
Yes I understand... I know you've been dreaming about this and have lot's of traditional idea's. I'm just fortunate enough to have been able to pursue an alternate avenue that I and some others have thought to be a more economical means to more RWHP. Plus the benefits of removing heat from under the hood and moving weight to the rear of our cars is of some real benefit.

Quote:
keep us posted on the Raptor Megasquirt solution. it would be fairly easy to step up the fuel system and injectors to run on E85 which would allow a "stock block" LT5 to run much higher boost without a tear down and my bet is that it would last a long time as long as you are willing to live with E85 not always being available. with the megasquirt, that becomes a "non issue" just craft a pump gas tune, lower the boost with the boost controller (manual or electronic) and reload the tune on the fly in case you can't get E85 during travel.

very exciting stuff.
E85 is an option with the new ECM. Mod the Fuel System and you're in there.

I've been kicking around sending the test Ruby to Corey after Megasquirt is finished. The idea would be to install the Raptor LT1 Single Turbo system on the LT5 car, add Meth for a safety margin and then turn up the boost to 6-8 psi. I believe we could see 550 rwhp from the stock block. I'm not just pulling these numbers out of thin air... There's another single turbo car out there that achieved those numbers however it didn't last long before needing a new head gasket. I believe the new ECM and Meth protection should keep her safe... I may install Jerry's head gaskets as an added safety measure but that's more $ of course... This would be a sub $10k upgrade.

On another note. Last update from the Megasquirt guys said they were on the dyno this week. Last report before that said they had a little more integration work to do with the A/C but that was it. I assume... that means all the other sub-systems are working as they should. I'll know more this Friday...

Cheers,
Ron
Founding Member #80
CM Lifetime Member #1093

1991 #383 Twin Turbo
1993 #099 Ruby, Jeal 368 w/Snake Skinner body
1961 White with Red Int
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote