View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022   #3
urock

Default Re: Hello from Germany and a request for your opinions on a ZR-1

Engine bay
- brown puddles under I think the fuel injector housings or maybe the air intake plenum. I don't have pictures of this
- the right forward area of the engine block seemed to be quite a bit dirtier than the rest of the block
- some of the pipes around air intake have broken screw tabs

- the air filter housing is cracked on the right side and it is attached to the duct with a piece of sheet metal and screws on both sides

- something was rubbing against the upper left control arm

Interior
- the steering column doesn't wiggle
- the seats are not movable and mounted to far back for me. I couldn't tell, if the mounting brackets are adjustable in any way
- on the steering column, behind the turn signal lever, there seems to be missing a cover and cables are dangling out

- the ignition switch comes out when you try to pull the key out
- the carpet under the pedals is ripped or rubbed through

- the original radio doesn't exist and was replaced with a Blaupunkt radio, that is too small for the radio bay
- the ride mode selector has no function because of the Bilstein shocks
- the 3-point safety belts and seats don't match. Because of the high sidewalls of the seats the waist belt fits ver loose and it is difficult to fasten the belt buckle

Wheels/Tires
- the wheels have scratches all around the outer edges
- the tires were produced in 2014 and have cracks in the treads

- the tires have flat spots, probably from being parked to long. This results in vibrations and noise during driving

Other
- I didn't notice any strange noises from the engine, appart from a squaking belt, but I might have missed something
- the ABS is working
- some unplugged cables and cut off wires dangling around freely in the front and back of the car. This has probably to do with modifications made to the lighting according to austrian regulations. For example the side markers apparently are not legal in Austria and have to be disconnected.
- the spare tire carrier, spare tire and tire bag is missing
- the area where the spare tire carrier bolt should connect to the chassis looks a bit mangled to me

- the wrench for the roof and the lug wrench are present
- the tire jack is missing
- the owners manual is missing
- INFL REST warning light is on

I couldn't take a good look at the underside of the car and don't know, if there is any visible leakage or if the frame rails are straight.
I also forgot to check, if the pop up headlights are working and probably forgot to check many other things.

I'm looking for a car for driving and not a trailer queen and I would also like do some of the wrenching myself.
Should I buy the car I would probably like to replace the damaged rear and front bumper with unmodified parts, remove the rear spoiler and side skirts, repair or replace the hood, depending on how severe the damage is, and all this would probably result in repainting the whole car or parts of it.
I think the car needs a new set of tires and the seat and belt problem would need fixing.

Most ZR-1s around here are red 1990s cars and are advertised with prices in the range from 35000? to around 40000?, but at least in the pictures those cars appear to be in much better and unmodified condition and the milage is generally lower. But I don't know, for how much they really sell and most of those cars are listed for many month.
One german classic car magazine (Auto Zeitung Classic Cars 10/2022) lists the C4 ZR-1 with 21800? for good cars and 9200? for restorable cars. In another magazine (Oldtimer Markt Preise 2022) the prices are 12800? for good cars and 5600? for restorable ones.
(Our classic car grades only go from 1 to 5 instead of the six grades, that I found for example at hagerty.com, but I think, that our "Zustandsnote 3" and should be comparable to the condition "Good" and "Zustandsnote 4" would be "Restorable")

The asking price for this car is 25000?, which seems to high for the impression I got from the car.

What is your opinion on the car? And what do you think a reasonable $ price would be on the US market, or in ? if you are familiar with european market?
urock is offline   Reply With Quote