View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015   #16
WVZR-1

Default Re: Removing transmission fill/drain plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic91 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas... there is not much of a lip for a set of vice grips to bite into on the outside, but I'm thinking that I'll try heat, with a slightly oversized torx bit pounded in (which should also give the "shock" effect to the threads), followed by an impact hammer and chisel at an angle to see if I can at least get it started. There should be enough of a lip for that.

If that all fails, maybe a bolt head welded onto the plug?

Anyone have success with any extraction products along the lines of this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...FdUXHwodcGkMBA

Scott
No to the extractors and if you found a "tall nut" that fit the M17 hex then the welding idea works well OR just weld the M17 hex from a cheap socket bought from the AP stores or Sears. An exhaust shop that does exhaust all day long would have it done in likely 20 minutes or less.

You mentioned over-sized Torx and there's no Torx involved. Space constraints make the other ideas less likely. The plug if it's OE is steel and weldable. If you've doubts check with a magnet.

Get yourself a couple of the VW plugs that I've suggested previously and Cliff mentions but make sure they sell you the part number I mention. There's a later plug that uses a VW spec tool for removal and you'd like to avoid that. Let the exhaust shop loosen the drain for you also, return home and complete the project.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-06-2015 at 05:33 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote