View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018   #32
A26B

Default Re: Serious Concerns Over Parts Availability

Re: OE Sleeves & Liners

I have at least 36 NOS Sleeves, more likely closer to 75.
For good used, I have a LOT. Most are 8 cyl sets of low miles take-out sleeve/rod/piston/ring/pin during 368+ engine builds by Doug Rippie & Lingenfelter. I don't really know how many of 90~92 & 93~95, but probably add up to 20+ engine sets. Corey Henderson, Mark Haibeck & Aaron Scott probably have that many more at least, plus more in the hands of individuals.

As far a condition of those take-outs, I would venture 99% are within GM spec. The set from my 60K 94 were within spec.

However, NEW piston rings are essentially extinct, leaving only used ones for repairs. For old school guys like me, rings were never re-used & cylinders re-honed so new rings would "seat" properly. Modern materials & manufacturing such as used in the LT5, have made reuse of "in-spec" rings feasible.

I think it's important to note that most ZR-1 will likely never need to replace sleeves, rods, pistons, rings. Most of what we have sold to customers were for engines damages by catalyst dust backflow (rare & restricted to mostly 1990 models), damage from SPT screws, broken or improperly timed cams and Tensioners not properly re-set.

With normal maintenance, LT5's with 200K+ are known & 125K+ is common. So how many ZR-1 LT5's will ever see that?

It just doesn't take a lot of deep, internal parts to keep these engines in use. Removal of the plenum provides access to the vast majority of LT5 maintenance items.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
I'll just drive mine until It can't be fixed anymore than sell it for parts and move on! I'm sure I'll be long gone before that happens..
Quote:
Probably the best way to look at C4s in general!
A very feasible means to take care of the fleet of ZR-1's. It's not going to require a large number of them to do it.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 08-20-2018 at 12:41 PM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote