Thread: ZR-1 vs Shelby
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016   #9
8cam

Default Re: ZR-1 vs Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
In a lot of ways this new Shelby is doing the same thing the ZR-1 did in '90. They are taking a current platform and putting a stand alone engine unavailable in any other car and upgrading the rest of the car around it. The new 5.2L FPC engine in the Shelby is every bit as ground breaking as the LT5 was back then. Dollar for dollar the LT5 cost a lot more to develop but every analogy breaks down at some point. Kudos to Ford engineers for having the balls to tell the bean counters to get out of their sandbox.

De'ja' vue all over again...
BINGO.

Of course the Shelby is faster than the ZR-1 everywhere, it's 26 years newer! Hard to find published top speed numbers, but I'd bet it's well in excess of 180mph. 1/4 mile times look slightly quicker, but where it shines is on a road course, where it will absolutely walk away. My time was limited and couldn't really push it, but the feel was outstanding.

And yes, real world driving is a whole real world different too, but again...26 years newer. The old Z holds up pretty damn well, and is still an outstanding car.

Cool to see a manufacturer build a car with a radical engine, designed to take down far more expensive competition, and still practical enough to drive every day. Sounds familiar.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote