View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015   #5
Dynomite

Default Re: Removing transmission fill/drain plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic91 View Post
I attempted to drain and fill the transmission oil at our local maintenance day, but the fill plug simply would not budge. I soaked them with WD-40 earlier in the week and using brute force with a 17mm hex and breaker bar damaged the female hex portion of the plug. I didn't attempt to force the drain plug since it was obvious the fluid was not going to be changed today.

Any suggestions for removing these plugs when they seem to be seized?

Thanks,
Scott
Allen wrench for fill plugs

Before you destroy the plug completely or destroy Torx Bolts on the Injector Housing Coolant Manifolds.........try a little heat from an acetylene torch (do not melt the aluminum).

On the Injector housing Coolant Manifolds.......apply heat along each bolt location separately (including the unthreaded shank of the bolt as the shank is often corroded inside the coolant manifold) and on the injector housing where the bolt is threaded (Remove each bolt separately before going on to another).

On Cam Cover Torx Bolts........you cannot get heat at the proper location but others have had great success with vibration (Impact wrench). I had great success with a chisel which after thinking ........... it was vibration that loosened the Torx Cam Cover Bolts even in my case. This ALL with engine in car.

Heat Always Works (HAW)

You might take a photo with cell phone of the plug so we can see hex and outside threads for more suggestions Before you do more damage

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote