View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014   #37
8cam

Default Re: missing/rough running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Wow, it's just like you said, that your Z is actually running better then when you purchased it.....you must be very satisfied with the way that is performing since all of the work is completed....

I know I have to do mine, just have to set aside time to get it done, although it runs great. I still have to purchase the parts needed, so that I've have everything ready to go. I may try to employ the WAZOO guys to help if possible sometime in the future. I understand that they work for food & drink....

When we were at the Corvette show back in September, I had showed David how my vacuum pump was disconnected. He and another member plugged the connector back into the pump and it just kept running. When they disconnected the vacuum liine that goes under the plenum, and put their finger over it, then the pump started working correctly. I don't know or understand what would cause that issue to happen. And I would imagine that my secondaries are "tied" or "wired" open as they work quite well. So when the "pull" does get done, it should answer alot of questions.......
It really is running better than ever, really a startling difference. My car sat in a warehouse for more than a decade and that neglect just isn't good for anything. By driving and fixing, I've been addressing all those things and now I suspect I'm driving a Z that feels like it did when it was new. Smooth, powerful, and pulls easily well beyond 7000 rpm.

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere under the plenum. When you can plug the pump line and it cycles off, your pump is fine. If there's a leak, it can't build the proper vacuum and just runs and runs. The pump is really only necessary at low rpm where the engine itself isn't pulling enough vacuum. When the rpms rise, the engine builds the vacuum and the secondaries work as they should, but the transition isn't as smooth as it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I don't know Mark, but I still think that you just may be enjoying your ZR-1 a little bit more than your "308"
LOL I really do enjoy it a lot. I think my wife would rather I had a newer car with a warranty that didn't require care and feeding, but I enjoy this a lot more. A car should have some personality, and give you the chance to bond with it. I had an M3 before the Z and it was absolutely perfect in every way - smooth, powerful, handled beautifully, built like only the Germans can, absolutely stone-cold reliable, perfect. Perfectly boring. To me it was an appliance, albeit a beautifully built one, and I just never bonded with it.

The ZR-1 is that amazingly beautiful American girl who doesn't think she's "got it" but with a little encouragement, can knock out a room with one smile. It just so happens she's become good friends with a fiery Italian who sings opera and knows how to dance. I think they are good for each other.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote