View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013   #7
scottfab

Default Re: LED replacement for courtesy lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
Do you have a complete list of the stuff you got and from where? If so - and you don't wish to publish it in public - could you please PM it to me?
Yes, I too would be interested in the list.
I'd like to find out what the current draw is on the hood lamps as well as the measured light output there is. (lumens)
There is a 90 led board assembly available that also has a flying lead adapter that would need to be tie-wrapped. I evaluated it. I found it wanting.

The current highest intensity hood lamp that I know of right now is this one but it draws 5watts ea. At that draw the trade of is obvious. You're not going to leave the hood open too long. While that is about half of the stock draw it's still enough to kill the battery too quickly. And yet the 800 lumen output it has is fantastic. It can be found at:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/5W-CREE-Hig...-p/sku-108.htm

I have not bought nor evaluated it but on paper it looks pretty good. No doubt it has a 120-180 deg pattern which is too bad. Much of the light is wasted out to the sides of the car an not the engine.

What I don't understand is why in the hell they wouldn't put the core LED (CREE Q5 XP-E LED) in a quad pattern. LEDs require ~3V junction voltage and if you put 4 of them them in series you get less heat loss across the dropping resister and 4x the light output. Theoretically that would be a 3200 lumen assembly at the cost of the same 5W.
I am watching this CREE company a lot. They are on the ball. I used one of there newest LEDs recently in the hood assembly and they keep innovating. I need to buy more of their stock

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote