View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Refurbing a set of wheels

IMHO, I think it depends on the design and material of the wheel. I have PC'd my factory 90 wheels and CCW Classic centers, but painted my Dymags by Ye Ole Wheel (awesome work by the way). When I took my 90 wheels to get PC'd, the company was not sure if it was a good candidate for PC. They told me they would blast and bake first to see what kind of outgassing reaction before commitment (I liked that). Once that was done they determined no problem and I did the prep work of special heat tape (green) to save on labor as it was very tedious for that wheel since I wanted to keep the lip uncoated. For my CCW 3 piece wheel it was easy to separate and PC the center piece so I did that for durability as mentioned by others (6 years later still looks like new). For the Dymag I had no choice due to the magnesium material and outgassing so it was painted. It has proven pretty durable, but the design of the wheel with deep set lugs, I did make a chip around a lug nut quite easily with the lock key for the type of lug used (will change). I think PC would not have chipped so easily (just my guess). If I were doing my A molds I would ship to Ye Ole Wheel Shop and have them painted. Just sharing my experience and nothing more. Best wishes in your wheel refurb.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote