Thread: New ZR1 owner
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013   #9
edram454

Default Re: New ZR1 owner

thanks for all the advice. The zr1 is unique and only a few are around. I have always loved the zr1 and hoped to have one in my life time. My c5 is built and beautiful but I cant say it is a blast to drive. it is actually dangerous if one is not careful. with an auto transmission, if you slam the accel pedal down it can downshift 2 gears and all hell breaks loose, especially my rear tires, the loss of control in instantaneous. to race somebody on the street next to you is a scary proposition because you dont know how many gears the automatic trans will downshift on it's own. at 40 or 50 miles an hour it is dangerous to stand it on. it is like a lack of control of the vehicle. it is not paddle shifted. I can say that I have never read anywhere from any body that driving a zr1 was not fun. it is a fun car to drive. I bought it for the uniqueness, the mystique and the fun of driving which I was actually lacking. that is why my c5 has such low miles. I dont think it has 1000 miles on all the mods. tires and rims 100 or less miles. I hate to see it go but the thought of driving with fear is not fun. it has already done 2 360's in the middle of a major highway, thank God nothing happened but that woke me up. I have had faster cars like my 1200 hp prostreet mustang ran 8 in the 1/4 mile but I would drive to local shows to blow there mind. It had a manual valvebody gm built turbo 400 tranny. I lost a lot of money on that one and missed the corvette people who were older and more educated. Mustang crowds were a bunch of very young guys. I didnt fit in. I will take the riskier of the two and keep the zr1. It has good mods too and runs strong. As soon as it came off the truck, I put some more gas in it and took it for a quick ride around my neighborhood, I stopped to do a little burnout and boy did it light them up, I didnt move 3 feet and that thing was already roasting the tires. But you see, because of the stick and clutch I had control. My c5 would burn and then shift to second take off and at 3500rpm get in boost and start burning very hard while you are moving. I feel I joined the big leagues with my vintage zr1. You guys are great and is a big reason why I will keep her. Thanks for all you opinions and inputs.

Your friend,
edramos.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote