View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022   #54
QB93Z

Default Re: Jim & Lyndi ZR-1 Road Trip to Death Valley and The Grand Canyon

Day 16 - Driving to Mesa, Arizona:

We left Las Vegas right after sunrise and headed southeast to Mesa Arizona. Most of the trip was on US-93, some of which was built recently and didn't show up on my in-dash Pioneer GPS unit. I guess it is time to update the maps.

Interesting landscape on the way to Hoover Dam:

Lake Mead (again):

If you are paying attention you will realize that this is the third time we have made part of this drive My original plan for this Road Trip was: Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Mesa. I had made all the reservations in that order. Then I found out that the Grand Canyon Railway ran the steam locomotive only on the first Saturday of each month, so we had to change the sequence to Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Mesa. We enjoyed see Lake Mead three times.

As we got south of I-40, we saw an increasing number of Saguaro Cactus:

We took a side trip to Wickenburg, AZ, a nice looking town with a population of about 6,300 people. We may stop in again in a future trip. One interesting attractions in Wickenburg is the the Jail Tree. Before the town could afford to build a jail, outlaws were chained to a tree in the middle of the town:

The Phoenix skyline that we passed on the way to Mesa:

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote