Thread: exhaust
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014   #78
edram454

Default Re: exhaust

The owner of the exhaust shop said that a y pipe with the dimensions that he had with a 4 inch inlet and out with 2 2.5 inch pipes would be a cleaner install, would allow me to use what pipes I had of my system and going back to the original flowmaster would be a snap if I ever wanted. The way the flowmaster system was designed it had the pipes that came off the header going into the resonator into one pipe. I looked inside the resonator and was surprised how restrictive it looked. It appeared to be two pipes since 2 pipes exited the resonator but it was only 1 pipe going in and it wasnt 4 inches either. I believe it was 2.5 inch inlet. the inside of the resonsator had the left side going off and through the resonsator while the right side went off to another smaller pipe which just bounced the waves around to reduce drone which was the job of the resonator anyway but it lacked any direct outlet into the exiting 2.5 inch pipes.

the proof was in the pudding when I drove the car right after I had driven it with the resonator in place and it was night and day. I still can believe the difference. It works kind of like an x pipe since both pipes exit the header, meet at a 4 inch pipe junction and exits out in 2 2.5 inch pipes. I remember in my drag racing days that one large pipe can out flow two small pipes, for example 1 3 inch pipe outflows 2 2 inch pipes. I knew that the 4 inch junction would not be problem what so ever. It is unconventional but makes sense as far as flow and cost. The cost to modifiy this was much less than an x pipe that would go from the headers to the mufflers and I can return it to the flowmaster force 2 configuration by welding it back together if I wanted to.

The idle noise is noticeable and people will notice. the wot is as loud or louder than a corsa with long tube headers and no cats. also the system weights less since there is less pipe. I think it was clever on the part of the shop owner and he's done many thousands of custom systems in his 30 years of business. I believe I was a little lucky to achieve the sound I was after for such little money and with the flexibility of bringing it back to how it was along with the weight savings.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote