View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023   #8
TerraNova

Default Re: Question about removing Bose and installing Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Having played with aftermarket radio/amps for ZR-1s since 1991, I recommend new infotainment head unit, keep Bose amps/speakers by using Metra interface cables.
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1857...rolet+Corvette

I recommend "ground loop isolators for RCA low level outputs to avoid poping when turning on and off and alternator whine.

Going to a 4 ohm system is an option. However, to do this effectively, speaker housings must be redesigned and fabricated and will be next to impossible to generate low frequency compared to Bose designed ported enclosure.

I added a Alpine 500 watt dedicated amp to feed low profile Pioneer 10" subwoofer in a custom enclosure to expand low frequency below Bose system.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...n/IMG_0612.jpg
Many thanks for this reply - very useful. The OEM Bose system is actually working.

If I install a new double din head unit do I need to keep the original CDM or should I replace it or can I just dispose of it and use the Metra cabling to connect the speaker amps directly to the head unit? I apologies as I?m not sure where a CDM has a role in todays head units, they seem to be very complete units.

I should mention I intend to get an all singing dancing head unit with wireless apple carplay and wifi connectivity. I don?t have any need for Compact Disks nor do I even need a SAT NAV as apple maps will generally do for me.

I did read that the OEM aerial connects to the CDM - if the CDM is removed can the aerial now connect to the head unit either directly or via the Metra Cabling too?

I like the idea of adding a subwoofer but I think I?ll try and find one or a pair of them with a smaller /lower profile to hide under or behind the seats. At the end of the day my favourite sounds will come from the exhaust.

Many thanks again for your input.
TerraNova is offline   Reply With Quote