Thread: Toyo vs. Nitto
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017   #23
emmvette

Default Re: Toyo vs. Nitto

I'm surprised nobody has the Nitto NT-01s mounted for comparison. I have used them on a C5 Z06 and also on the ZR-1. In comparison I've used slicks on the track, Toyo R888's and the old BFGs.

You shouldn't compare the Toyo R888 to the NT-05, the NT-01 is correct tire to compare.
The NT-01 is a very capable track tire, and you can't find better traction than on a street tire as long as its dry and warm out. I generally don't have the ZR-1 out unless its dry, so I don't worry about it.

The R888 and Nitto NT-01 are very similar. Both have outstanding grip. Both are a very capable track / autocross tire. "Almost" as good as slicks, and wear much better. The downside to the R888 and NT-01 compared with other street tires is you will get less mileage from them. Probably half of a tire with a harder compound like the Goodyears or Michelin tires.

I think most people would recommend the R888's or NT-01 if you plan to autocross or do track days and don't want to get a second set of rims and special tires. For me, I like the phenomenal grip and don't mind the lower life as I don't put a ton of miles on the car anyway. I figure by the time the tires are getting a few years on them and aren't as soft anymore, I'll have them worn out.