View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017   #8
Roadster

Default Re: TB removal and then some!!!

I imagine that everyone else is having the same problem with the forum. Don't know what I did, but I may be able to post......lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Tom,

First, your erratic idle rpm may be due to intermittent vacuum leak.
As for the TB corrosion, this is caused by galvanic corrosion - electric current plus steel bolt and aluminum TB, both exposed to water base coolant. Even if refinished will return unless the cause is resolved. In my case, bypassing coolant through TB, was the fix.
Yun,
I found the problem apparently the smoke test was correct. I don't think I have an intermittent vacuum leak, rather it is indeed the primary blade. The TB bypass may be an option for me in the future...I will probably need your expertize for that mod as I know you have something different that you do from reading previous threads.

Did the light test recommended by G8nightman (George) with a flashlight shining through the throttle body blades. I can tell you when you turn out the lights in the garage, it gets dark real quick!!!
But the results are in and correct. When shinning the light through each secondary blade, there is no light what-so-ever coming through. When holding the light up to the primary blade from the back, you can see a good amount of light and also see how far the blade is open. I would venture to say that is my idle problem, no doubt.
Thanks George for the tip and btw, your PM box was fill as of early this AM.
Here are the pics....
light through the primary blade...

light turned off...see what I mean about it being dark.....

flashlight back on....

Now I have to decide and figure out the correct way to accomplish the task. I am not touching the secondary blades, except for a light clean up...hmmmm
maybe not!!!
Have to determine if both the min air adjustment procedure from Dominic and the application of the dry lube will correct the problem. Or just try to adjust the idle stop screw as it is in its present state, and also add the dry lube to help seal the perimeter of the primary blade.

Also looks like I need to sand the TB as some of the finish has cracked off and the top is bubbled, so it needs a refinish. Just might attempt to do it all in the engine compartment and not remove the throttle cable at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
I noticed that. Jerry has all those stainless bolts ready to buy
Yes, for sure....that is where the first batch came from....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote