View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014   #64
Gunny

Default Re: Mountain Run 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
... No need to get there too early. ...
Couple of thoughts as you come down I-81
  • Google maps suggests I-81/I-77 then west on 421/221 to Blowing Rock.
  • You can also take I-81 to the Tri-Cities area (Bristol-Kingsport-JC) and choose one of the routes to Blowing Rock from there. These are pretty good roads.
  • If you have some time to kill you can spend some "leisurely" time on the Blue Ridge Parkway ... be forewarned, the BRP is not fast and you should definitely check for road conditions/detours/etc. We will be doing a nice section of the BRP on Monday so you will get to see some nice scenery & experience some good roads.
  • Check Gas Buddy before you leave ... I think you will find North Carolina to be a bit high on fuel. I usually stop at one of the exits just north of the I-81/I-77 split for best fuel prices in VA. With luck, Georgia's prices will allow some savings and also come at appropriate times when we need fuel.

I'm going to suggest Sunday night dinner around 6:30pm in Blowing Rock. It will be helpful to have a short driver's meeting for final details/questions/etc. before we start the Mtn Run on Monday. Google maps suggests 4:20 travel time for me, so I'm planning on leaving @1:30 pm, giving me time for church & taking wife & 95 year old mom out to Mother's Day lunch.
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote