View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013   #17
rkreigh

Default Re: Twin Turbo ZR-1 musing

been hanging out on LS1tech alot lately and they are doing some amazing things with the LSX engines and turbos using truck manifolds and "stub pipes" to do single and twin turbo setups.

anyone have some good shots of underneath the LPE and Callaway turbo cars? I have a few but they aren't all that clear.

the stock 93-95 manifolds are getting cheap and this would be a great setup if it can be fabbed up and work

Huron is a new turbo vendor selling a pair of turbonetics turbos for 1400 which is a pretty solid price

with the tuning being the biggest "stumbling block" I'd love to get another TT setup similar to LPE, SGC, and Callaway. those setups were mega expensive. I believe LPE TT cars went for about 54K and there wasn't much profit in that for LPE due to the amount of research and devel involved and fabrication. the callaway setups were I'm sure much more

last time I talked to Reeves Callaway he was north of 6 figures to do another TT ZR-1. chuck mallett was also interested but wanted to use iconel manifolds which would be mega expensive

the material in the stock manifolds is solid and while they aren't all that efficient, they would likely work out pretty well with some solidly welded stub pipes added to them with a matching flange for the turbos.

I may have to get off my duff and learn to weld. based on my soldering skills which are NOT good, it would take quite a bit of practicing before I could develop the skills.

a TT ZR-1 running e85 has some VERY strong appeal and would open up adding the turbo kit to even a stock block engine and running some pretty big numbers with the right fuel system.

still not cheap, but I believe it could be done for 20k which is right in the ball park of a 368 build. and the TT would be much more powerful.

turbo torque is a beautiful thing. even my lowly turbo buick can spank out 500 ft lbs at the tire with a buzzin half duzzin. the TT Z06 will put donwn 800 rwtrq which is "sufficient"
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote