View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018   #7
jss06c6

Default Re: Serious Concerns Over Parts Availability

Like it or not, we've got a fairly complicated engine design with early vintage computer controls. These engines are a testament to reliability from a mechanical perspective, but we still face a death blow from ECM, CDM and Ignition Module failure and obsolescence.

The car is straight forward mechanically, so fairly easy to maintain from that end. Jerry (God Bless Him) and Graham (Him Too) are working on a replacement for the Ignition Module. MSquirt has a partial solution for the ECM. Torqhead has a solution for the LT-1/4 ECM, but not the LT-5. Don't know of anyone that has a CDM replacement under way, but with the number of C4's still out there,we've got some sources of used boxes..

I love working on my ZR-1. It's unique and a conversation starter at the shows. I will be helping others with their ZR-1's at my new shop. I do understand though, that unlike other antique cars that are purely mechanical, the ZR-1 will face extinction some day in the future when electronics are simply not available.

Mercury Marine's SB4 is a good replacement, but again, not built to talk to the CDM..

Let's just enjoy the ride while we've got it...

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

Last edited by jss06c6; 08-16-2018 at 05:01 PM.
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote