View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013   #9
Blownrunner

Default Re: I discovered how to easily drain the oil cooler! (on my 91' at least)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I believe the "conventional wisdom" needs to prevail here because the plug the OP mentions isn't meant to be a "service port". I don't know the thread size involved here but for any thing other than maybe it's use to drain the oil for a cooler change seems maybe foolish. Any conventional engine oil drain plug uses a gasket or seal to prevent seepage and I'm quite sure this could only be some sort of an NPT plug and that's not a conventional method used for engine oil service ports.
The cooler uses the same plug as the rear differential drill/drain kit that CorvetteCentral has. I bet it could be screwed in too far and be stuck inside the cooler, I was thinking of replacing it with a bolt instead, maybe next oil change. As far as not being a service port, the FSM gives oil refill quantities if you drain the block, block and filter, block and oil cooler, block and cooler and filter, and engine overhaul.

The big thing I didn't like is that over time the acids and whatnot that break down an oils additives, it is nice to get as much of the old out as possible. Going over the Amsoil site and reading their monthly newsletter is really informative info for the gearhead.

However, the FSM doesn't really explain what is involved in a 'routine' oil change, so I guess we will all have to make up our own minds if you want to mess with the cooler.

Last edited by Blownrunner; 10-11-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Blownrunner is offline   Reply With Quote