View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015   #31
Dynomite

Default Re: Changing oil...Let it drain overnight ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
I just take advantage of the long starting cycle for the LT-5 and run the starter a few times just before the engine catches.
Does that work.....just crank it a bit and stop...crank some more and then stop (not going all the way to firing)....I will try that today for kicks......I mean for pre-oiling...that may be the answere but starter will then get a work out

OK...on a 91' I cranked it over maybe 4 or 5 times without starting (did this six times). Then fired it up and oil pressure was almost immediate.
Same on 90'. The oil pressure on a regular start (after sitting over night) comes up in a second or two later and I am thinking I will stay with "standard" starting practice and "standard" oil filter changing practice. That is to say......just turn it over until if fires and let engine sit overnight before changing oil filter with new dry filter.

That method of changing oil filter on the LT5 is cleaner and with less mess than on any other engine I have ever changed oil filters (the filters that are horizontal or tilted up which stay full of oil and capture oil above them that creates the mess when you remove the filter).

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-23-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote