View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Bleeding brakes - easy way!

With the right equipment, bleeding the brakes takes less time to do than it does to remove and reinstall the wheels to access the calipers - more or less.

If you're like me, and always dreaded bleeding the brakes (or the clutch too, for that matter), this stuff/method might make it a lot easier for a DIY'er.

Tools:
  1. Automatic fluid reservoir bottle (pictured below - I bought by itself - not as part of a kit per se')
  2. Vacuum pump https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Brake-Ble...Braake+bleeder
  3. Speed bleeder valves (Russel #639630 on Amazon) You'll leave them permanently installed, so buy 4.

The installed Russel speed bleeder (check) valves do not leak air around the threads after backing them off of the seat; one of the PIA of the stock valves which accounts for more air and wasted fluid AND TIME than about anything else.

(Not pictured) is an inexpensive, hand operated vacuum pump attached to a catch bottle used to draw the old fluid and air from the speed bleeder valve.

A Mitivac reservoir bottle (pictured) clamps onto the reservoir(s) and keeps reservoir filled with fresh fluid level so that you don't accidentally suck air into the brake lines (or pump air in if pumping the brake pedal instead of vacuuming the old fluid out).

Oh! Forgot to mention: The front reservoir on the Master Cylinder serves the front brakes, and visa-versa. Good to know. (I had to draw air into my system before I realized that...)

If you are relegated to DIY projects, this stuff makes this (annual for me) chore a breeze! Of course, there are 'many ways to skin a cat', but if this helps anybody...mission accomplished!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-30-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote