View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015   #7
Dynomite

Default Re: Changing oil...Let it drain overnight ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
The main reason for me personally is so that the oil filter doesn't blop out a bunch of oil on the front corner of the engine. The oil cooler won't drain since it is lower than the feed lines.

also define drain... I let it sit for a few hours before I pull the drain plug (and as mentioned, filter), but once that is done it is a 10 minute drain job. You will read about draining oil on a warm engine- I also feel you get a more complete draining, but really, just changing the oil without making a mess is all you need to do. If the oil is super bad, then you might consider running a cheap 10w-30 through it for 10 miles to flush, then come home, drain it and refill with the good stuff. If you have been keeping up with the maintenance regularly, then a simple 8-9 qt change is all you need- the oil cooler oil won't be that dirty anyhow if you change the oil like you are supposed to.
Concur

Let the engine sit over night so you can remove the oil filter without a mess as Mike suggests. Yes...some oil filters have a check valve of sorts but on Mobile 1 M1-207s the filter can be removed without any oil mess after sitting over night.

The LT5 engine and oil cooler will hold about 12 quarts of oil of which you drain about 8-9 quarts on an oil change.
So you get about 70 % of the old oil changed on an oil change. Next time you will get 70% of that 30% old old oil (9% of old old oil remaing), and on the third change you will get 70% of the 9% old old old oil remaining with 3% of old old old oil remaining. And so it goes

The oil pick up screen in the LT5 Oil Pan sits about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the pan (has nothing to do with changing oil ). When you drain oil (depending on how the ZR1 is sitting) you will have about 1/4 inch of oil in the bottom of the oil pan that does not drain.

On a ZR1 just purchased I will change oil twice within a week or so of each change to get down to the 9% of original "unknown" oil remaining.

LT5/ZR-1 Fluids

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-19-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote