View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018   #15
G-Sting

Default Re: Deal on Mobil 1 high milage oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Is it 100% synthetic? or is it the ripoff version cracked from crude oil/natural gas and called Full synthetic? This is the big question about Mobil-1.

If it's too cheap it's not 100% synthetic. Back in 1972 Amsoil 100% synthetic was on the market, in 1974 Mobil-1 came out with a 100% synthetic to compete. Both oils had 25,000mile change intervals.
Mobil sued Castrol in the 90's about Castrols use of Full Synthetic while not putting 100% synthetic oil in the bottle. So it's Castrol fault that any North American company can use the term Full Synthetic while putting mineral oils derived from natural sources in the bottle.
Up here they sell "Full synthetic" for about $10 more for 4 946ml bottles, than conventionals, so who wouldn't buy this? The truth is that its just regular old conventional oil that was cracked from crude or natural gas. And then you find that the true 100% synthetics are in fact about double the price.

If it doesn't come from PAO, it's not a "100% synthetic oil". Amsoil, Royal Purple and Mobil-1 High Mileage are the few engine oils that are actually true 100% synthetic oils.

What I'm talking about is a completely different issue than "Synthetic Blends". I'm sure many of you already knew this, but I'm sure many don't. Don't get ripped off.
Mobil-1's "Annual protection" isn't selling so well.

Very interesting, Paul. Thanks for that.

...I don't mean to get off the Mobile 1 subject, but any thoughts on the Castrol GTX Magnatec Full Synthetic? Claims to have "ultra-refined molecular components cling to your engine throughout all driving conditions," and claims it is especially protective during start up.

I just did an oil change in my daily with it. It is such a good deal at $17.88 per 5QT, 5W30 Full Synthetic, on Amazon.
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote