View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017   #7
karlaw

Default Re: NO START on 2 ZR-1's

I am not aware of anything worked on, for the red car. Except for alternator replacement a few years back. It run perfect except for one day I drive to town, park for 1/2 hr on hotter summer day, then was a no start, meaning the starter not engage.
Tried boosting, pumped clutch pedal, wiggled wires, then returned 3 hrs later and it started right up.
Drove 10 min to house, shut it off, then no starter.
Car ended up sitting for 2-3 yrs, while I would occasionally keep trying to start.
Then last summer had a mechanic friend come to house. After trying the clutch switch, pulling spark plugs and replace, and trying to find scan codes, he finally got it started, but we never figured out the exact problem.
The mechanic took the car to his house, it run fairly smooth, but had maybe 100 hp. I had him replace the clutch assembly, and he also cut out the cat converters......the no cats did not make any difference for power, and for some reason the one exhaust pipe never got properly welded up.
The car was starting most of time, meaning the starter was engaging, but again had intermittent starter.
We located the purple wire to starter and put a jumper to positive battery, car turned over by jumping, then would start and run poorly.
I do have the GM vats "INTERAGATOR " bypass box, we did try using it, but again starting became intermittent. And now months later after car sat since last October, I went out , charged battery 2 days, then jumped in, pushed clutch down, and the car starts immediately but dies in 3-4 seconds. This was WITHOUT the Vats bypass box.
It was then I kept wiggling the key switch and getting intermittent starter engagement, but car not fire. When I did get starter cranking, I let clutch out and cranking stopped, and while still holding key non stop I let clutch in and out and it seemed clutch switch was doing its job ok.
I will be checking the fuel gauge display closer, but I think it just goes blank when key is ON position.
I got to thinking about when I swapped ECM's between both cars......I never swapped keys to match.
I know from can am quads, the ECM's and key go together as a matched pair. Anybody know if the ZR-1 key has to be matched to the ECM ??

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry