View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018   #37
rkreigh

Default Re: Serious Concerns Over Parts Availability

I'm confused why everyone wants to rip out the lt5 when it's some of the electronics that are rare. Jerry is working on the DIS and as soon as some one needs one let me know.

I'll sell you mine and use the money for putting a megasquirt on it. coil on plug is WAY better than coil packs and the megasquirt offers a very affordable option to the unobtanium DIS parts. keep in mind there are 7000 of these made and they rarely fail. by the time they do Jerry is likely to have completed a solution. GM isn't going to share tech data guys, they won't even give out dyno sheets for goodness sake so that's not going to happen. And as Jerry will attest, reverse engineering is very hard work.

Overall the lt5 is an anvil, I just put 106k on mine, and if I hadn't lost a hose and run the car hot so often (ac), the head gasket would not have failed.

these are 200k plus engines, just not that many people run them enough to find that out

I used to worry about the hard parts like main bearings, and the stock rings are not to be found. But if you want to keep the lt5 stock, the take out parts are available from folks that updated to 4 inch liners. those stock parts are pretty good and I think we are too quick to discard them.

I had the stock crank, bearings, and rotating assembly with liners and matched pistons and basically couldn't give it away a few years back. Look at how long the liners and pistons stayed at auction because the bid didn't meet reserve at the NCM!!!

yes, there are many parts that can be tough to get, but gents like Jerry and many talented folks step up to address that. In the age of 3d printing and modern electronics, with a bit of work, the old gal can be updated to use the new stuff. racers do it all the time and it's really not as hard as some would think.

we have the technology to keep the beast alive despite the challenges as long as there is a desire and some $ to do so.

Last edited by rkreigh; 08-21-2018 at 05:55 AM.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote