View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010   #41
todesengel

Default Re: Header install questions.

I would be more inclined to believe the warpage is a result of the welding, not the ceramic application. I am just not quite sure how that process could warp the flange.

I have built many turbo headers, and if you do not take your time with the welds, and weld too much, too fast, you run a strong possibility of warping it.

I am not claiming to be correct in what I am saying, but there is a right, and a wrong way to do everything to me. My opinion is that if you know something is not up to par BEFORE you put it on, you only have yourself to blame down the road when you start having issues. I wont put dirty underwear on after a shower, I wont do an oil change without changing the filter, and I won't put a part on my car that I know isn't right. Everyone is different, and so is everyones acceptable variances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Hey, buddy!
I just measured mine with a straight edge, and I have .028 and .026 respectively. FWIW, they didn't leak in spite of not having ALL the bolts screwed in (common situation, even from the factory, I'm told), and I used the standard 19ft lb torque on one of Eric's gaskets and no red silicone either.

Hmmm.... 80 tho seems a bit much, but I don't have any other SW headers to reference to. Some SBC header flanges have been at least that far off and more, but I digress...

You might be able to knock off the high spots a little with a long flat file - enough to bring the gap down to .030 (guessing, based on my .028 not being a problem in spite of using no silicone), you might be good.

I don't know that 80 tho is an issue or not easily correctable to an acceptable gap, but I would call SW if you haven't already to discuss it w/ them. Also, Eric sells exhaust gaskets, and his input would be welcome 'bout now. (I wonder if the ceramic coating process resulted in some of the warpage??? Just a thought.)

Bottom line: At this point I wouldn't be too alarmed. You may be able to heat them and re-shape them a little, or like I said, file off just enough to get in the ballpark. But, the fact that the heads are aluminum gives me pause too. If they were cast iron, I know from experience and fussing with headers on SBCs 80 tho is "workable" (with a little filing and good gaskets!).

I too will be interested to hear what others may have to say.

P.
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote