View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008   #11
tomtom72

Default Re: High idle after running.. Some questions

This is just a fwiw from the peanut gallery.

we have sooo many vac connections that it's a nightmare. I bought new 90 els from the I/H's, new F connector @ PCV tops, and new reg hose & MAP hose. The double connector @ the lower left TB was loose too.

I replaced what I could buy, and zip tied the TB double connector. I also did the update on the PROM from GM....net result was great for about two & a half yrs.....now the GM F connector is loose as chit again & the idle is starting to do a bit of up & down.

After all my bs, my point is even with new rubber this stuff seems to go soft in a hurry & back to square one. How to keep the rubber from softening, and or how to revive the soft rubber are the keys to all these small additive vac leaks? I clean the oil out of the PCV system on a regular basis and still it's a loosing battle.

JMHO, when people had turntables to play records......yea I'm that old!....the most common problem with all of them was a part called the Idler Wheel. A combo of rubber molded to a metal wheel. The common trick was to use iso-propyl alcohol as a reviving agent to firm up the soft rubber. We used to soak the wheels in the soloution for a day, and presto...firm rubber again. I'm gonna try it & see what happens on the old stuff, I saved all the BG/OEM parts as spares.

Sorry to be sooo long about this!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote